Saturday, May 17, 2014

Breanna Stewart Returns Home, Emcees Special Olympics




Back at her alma mater

Hundreds of children, teachers, and parents came to Cicero-North Syracuse High School on a sunny and breezy Thursday for the Onondaga County Special Olympics.

Events included bowling, basketball, relay races, shot put, and long jumps, with more than 15 school districts participating.

Breanna Stewart giving her speech at the
Onondaga County Special Olympics
(c) 2014 Brittany Jones
C-NS alum Breanna Stewart, who has volunteered for this event since her time in high school served as Master of Ceremonies for the Special Olympics.  The current University of Connecticut basketball player says being named Master of Ceremonies was an unbelievable opportunity.
"I've been a part of this Special Olympics before, and I think it's such a special day for all these athletes.  I'm just happy to be a part of this," she said.

After emceeing the event, Breanna Stewart spent her time socializing with athletes and their families.  Stewart also filled her day with taking pictures and signing autographs.


Stewart brings a bit of UConn back to Syracuse

Stewart just completed her sophomore year at the University of Connecticut.

"Finals actually went really well," she said I finished the semester really strong."

There's no denying that Stewart finished the season strong on the basketball court as well, helping her basketball team win its second straight NCAA Championship game and being named Associated Press Player of the Year.

Breanna Stewart next to her mother, Heather Stewart.
(c) 2014 Brittany Jones 
"It feels great to be back, Stewart said.
"I was really looking forward to coming back and being with my family."

She brought a part of UConn back with her,  reciting the Huskies' motto in her ceremonial speech.

"I would like to say our motto at UCONN to keep that in mind while you compete today," Stewart said to the crowd. "Play hard, play smart, and have fun."


The ultimate goal


The 6'4" Stewart called her second year at UConn awesome.  

"You couldn't have asked for anything else. To be able to have such success, have so much fun with my teammates, really finish it off and send our seniors off on the right note, that was exactly the way we wanted things to turn out."

The two back to back championships at UConn are just half the goal for her.

"When I come to Connecticut, I want to be as successful as possible," Stewart said. "That means winning a national championship every single year. I think that if I can win four national championships, that would be awesome and unheard of."

Stewart says since she's returned from Connecticut, she has been working out in preparation for the next season.

"I definitely feel that I have room for improvement.  I think that being able to be so versatile, there's a lot of different things that you can work on," she said.  This summer I'm looking forward to continuing to get stronger, faster, and work on the ball handling aspect of things."

The next two seasons are something Stewart looks forward to, but she also has a desire to represent her country.

"I love representing my country playing USA basketball," Stewart said.  "If I can have the opportunity to be on the upcoming Olympic team, that's my ultimate goal. There's no other way to represent your country on such a high level and play the sport you love."

No comments:

Post a Comment