Sunday, July 10, 2016

My Time With the Chiefs in Pictures

\
   
By Kaimeng Yang

        The Syracuse Chiefs are the local Triple-A baseball team, the Triple-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals. With the help of Professor John Nicholson, I had a 2-month capstone internship with the Chiefs this summer. I worked as an on-site photographer. I was in charge of the photo coverage of every home game. By the end of the internship I have more than 20 photos published on Syracuse.com and Milb.com. It has been a great internship and experience.

     Before this internship, I knew nothing about Triple-A baseball. Now I am aware that it is a very serious and intense game. Most players on the team are playing hard to get into the Major Leagues. It is the platform for top young player like Trea Turner who ws just called up to the Nationals to practice his skills and build up experience. It is also the game for MLB veterans like Steve Lombardozzi to have a second chance. 

     I had always heard that working in the sports media will kill most of my leisure time. I really felt this during this internship but I have no regrets. Night games usually do not end until about 9:30 and reporters have to spend another hour to wrap up their photos and stories. Everyone in the press box seems to enjoy the job. Reporters can put up the game story really fast after the game, and a few games into the internship I was able to help them with my photos. The fast writing skills take years of training and confidence in their work.

     The Chiefs have the smallest market among all Triple-A teams, but every staff working hard to get a better attendance. The Chiefs' Director of Community Relations and Social media Jeff Irizarry  and Professor Herm Card, who is also the Chiefs;' official photographer, helped me a lot through the internship. This is very good memory and experience. I am glad that Professor Nicholson helped me get this position.

Here are 30 photos I really like from my internship. Click on any picture to start slide show.





Jason Martinson broke his bat. Captured in very high shutter speed.



The Solano brothers having a special meeting no the field from 27th to 29th. Older brother Jhonatan is the catcher for the Syracuse Chiefs and younger brother Donovan plays for the RailRiders as IF.

The Chiefs made three roster moves on Monday afternoon. Trea Turner started at CF for the first time the year. The photo shows him paying in front of the wall.

This is my first photo ever published online. It is not a good one but it is a milestone for me.

A member of the U.S. Navy throwing first pitch in his anti-exposure suit in NBT Bank Stadium during Navy Night. I really like the four Navy members in the background. This picture shows the combination of military spirit and baseball culture

A manager arguing with the home plate umpire. This picture is telling a story itself. The viewer knows this manager is going to be ejected shortly after this.

The exact moment the ball making contact with the bat. We can actually see the deformation on the baseball. Captured in very high shutter speed with the help of luck. 

A great jump to second base. Baseball fans will understand this is a base stealing strategy and the runner is going to succeed. It shows the speed of the runner and his stealing skills.

My favorite photo of my internship. We can see the runner reaches home plate safely as the catcher does not have the ball yet. The players and fans jumping and cheering in the backboard shows it is a game winning run. The dirt is flying and the ball, batter, runner and the catcher are all in the shot.

TheLegendary 1B Bill Buckner throwing the ceremonial first pitch.

Matt den Dekker practicing in the dugout between innings. This picture shows these minor leagues players really care about how they are doing. They all want to get into the majors.

Fan catching a foul ball. I really love the fact that many other fans in the shots are trying to do the same thing. This photo shows that catching a foul ball or a home run ball is a big part of baseball game.

Players running out from dugout. A photo with lots of energy and they are all wearing sunglasses. Cool like a cucumber.

I love the fact his necklace is following his motion. The motion and shadow is also good.

Manager pointing at the first base umpire. The umpire looks so innocent and helpless.

A photo feature young and old playes. Chiefs number one Chris Bostick is playing his first Triple A game he is only 23. MLB Veteran Nick Swisher is already 35.

Another one that players running out from the dugout. I like the facial expression on Trea Turner. He looks confident and ready to play.

Trea Turner went too aggressive on a fly ball. He did not go back to third on time and was caught by the 3rd baseman. The picture shows his frustration.

A throwing error by the Chiefs' catcher. This photo shows how much he missed SS Martinson. Martinson had no chance on that ball and he had to avoid stepping on the runner as well.

Chris Bostick homered in his Triple A debut. A good motion shot of his first home run.


Pitching coach Bob Milacki having some words with Jaron Long after a 30 pitches in the  first inning.
Trea Turner slides into second safely.

Erik Davis throwing to first. We can see the other team player trying hard reach first before the throw.

I took lots of first pitch photos every game. This one is my favorite. I love the fact that the mascot is in the background pointing at the kid.

A great motion shot. The moment before the ball making contact with the bat. The white uniform looks nice as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment