Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Designated Heckler and His Love of the Game


By Lauren Williams
 

Chiefs' designated heckler Lloyd Broadnax
It’s not easy to compete when there is someone heckling you. It becomes more fun when that person is heckling for you.

For the past eleven years, Lloyd Broadnax has taunted baseball players at Syracuse Chiefs’ games. For the past eight, he has been doing it on their behalf.

A former shortstop, Broadnax did not reach the level of play that he dreamed of. Graduating from Brooklyn's John Jay High School in 1979, he got into the wrong crowd. In 1986, his stepfather arranged for him to walk on to a Single-A baseball team, Broadnax said.  He missed the chance.

“I got jumped and beat down, head trauma, I was messed up,” Broadnax said pointing to his head. “I’m like [Darryl] Strawberry in reverse.  Drugs became part of my story. He played, then he got into drugs. I didn't play I messed up with the lifestyle, then ended up clean.”

The 52-year-old father of three moved to Syracuse following the death of his mother.

“I came here in 2001 cause I used to live with my mother and take care of her,” he said. “After she died, I sold the townhouse and came to live in Syracuse with my sister.”

Two years later, when the Chiefs were still the Triple-A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays, he went to his first game and hounded the players for their lack of success. Sitting behind a group of pitchers in left field, Broadnax was relentless. Tired of his jabs, current Washington Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth took him to the parking lot of the NBT Bank Stadium and offered him the chance of a lifetime.

“[He] said, ‘why you keep heckling us?’” Broadnax said. “I said: ‘cause y’all ain’t ever win.’ So they said ‘how about we give you tickets to get in, free , [if] you start heckling with us.’ That’s when I started heckling against the other teams.”

With his booming voice bouncing off the walls of the stadium, Broadnax is recognizable to those who frequent the games. Affectionately known as “Suspect,” he constantly calls opposing team players suspects. Even with his daughter, Nayana, 3, draped across his lap, he is not afraid to yell “Come on double ‘em up! I need a two-for-one.”

Broadnax not happy with two-run deficit
Program seller Jim Durkin, 78, appreciates Broadnax’s enthusiasm.

“To me there’s no such thing as a bad fan,” Durkin said. “If they show up and they support the team they’re good people. He comes to 99 percent of the games.”

Players and team officials enjoy his presence at the games and notice the few instances he does not attend. General Manager  Jason Smorol appreciates everything that Broadnax brings to the table.

“I love it,” he said. “He is on board with the Syracuse Chiefs and he is at most games and if no one is going to cheer for the Syracuse Chiefs you know Lloyd is going cheer for the Syracuse Chiefs. I’ll listen to the game on the radio and I’ll hear him in the background.”

Short stop Emmanuelle Burriss leaves a ticket for Broadnax because he helps the players feel comfortable in the dugout.

“We’re laughing half the time,” Burriss said. “I don’t think the game would be the same without him. I would never want him to not show up.”









                                           




No comments:

Post a Comment