Monday, August 4, 2014

A Fairy Tale Baseball Love Story

By: Carter Sanderson

Bob Passineau & his "Honey" (Top left with yellow purse).





He doesn’t have a license, but he's been to every game. Everybody knows him, but not everyone knows his name. 

Directly behind the home team's dugout, in the very top row, all the way on the edge in seat 8, is where you will find 65-year-old Bob Passineau, known around NBT Bank Stadium as “The Candy Man”.

Passineau has been a season ticket holder of the city's minor league baseball team, the Syracuse Chiefs since 1985, and says he has attended most every game no matter what the circumstances.

“The first 20 years I didn’t miss a game,” Passineau said as he doodled on his scorecard. “I’ve missed a few in these last years because of sickness." 

Passineau carries his scorecard to every game and watches intently from the same seat every night.

“I enjoy baseball,” Passineau said. “I watch and I keep score. It’s my favorite thing to do.”

Having grown up a lover of all things baseball, Passineau has followed the sport since he was 10-years-old and was a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers during his childhood days.

Passineau made his way to Syracuse by way of the Navy and has been a Chiefs fan ever since his arrival. However, he has never had a driver's license to get there.

“I don’t drive,” Passineau said. “I failed the first drivers test and now I like to taste the beer.” 

Luckily for Passineau, he had multiple ways and connections to make sure he was present at the games with his scorecard in hand.

“I used to catch the bus regularly,” Passineau said. “I’d go to work, I’d get out of work, I’d shower, make my lunch for the next day and catch the bus to the ball park.” 

It was also convenient when his brother was a cab driver in the city. 

“He never charged me the full amount,” Passineau said.

After several years of waiting at the bus stop and relying on his brother to get around, Passineau found a new ride to the ball park.

Deanna Sauve, a widow, has always been a good friend to Passineau. 

After the death of Sauve’s husband, years passed and Passineau and Sauve eventually became ball park sweethearts.

“We went out for coffee 24 years ago and have been going ever since,” Sauve said. “I enjoy the games, I knit and he keeps the score.”

Since 1991, Sauve has been bringing “The Candy Man” to NBT Bank Stadium.

"Bob gives every usher candy before every game," Sauve said. "If you were to ask where Bob is, nobody will know, but if you ask where the candy man is, they will point him out immediately.” 

Sauve also shared some of Passineau’s accomplishments and game rituals over the years.

“He is a member of the fan club and he received a plaque for "Fan of The Year some years ago,” Sauve said. "He has a collection of all the souvenirs from every game,” she continued. "It's massive."

Although they don’t sit together during the game, Passineau plans to remain there in his seat with his "honey" right behind him for many years to come.


“My ride’s behind you,” Passineau said. “She’s my honey.”

No comments:

Post a Comment