Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ambitious Student Decides on Dream Job



By Robert Magobet




Emily Dick
Ambitious New Yorker affirms decision on sports career choice-- to get the dream job that she has wanted since her college days.

Being a sports producer is what Emily Dick, 21, wants to do. It is her dream job. A job at ESPN or Fox News One would be a job that she would want to do.

“Either one I’m not too picky at this point. But I do love news as well too. So I can see myself doing like an NBC Nightly News or something like that because as we’ve learned sports aren’t just sports their news as well,” Dick said.

Dick really looks up to the people behind the scenes, the people that most do not know. In Washington DC she meant NBC nightly news producer and editor, Mike Judge, shadowing him for a day.

“And I learned so much from him. And just meeting people behind the scenes, I really enjoyed that,” Dick said.

Dick new she wanted to immerse herself in the sports world. She went to West Virginia to be a sports journalist.  A sideline reporter was the original idea, but her journalistic dreams changed to a producer. Being on camera made her go in a different direction—she loved producing, she loved writing.

“And so I went in thinking I’d be on camera and I went out knowing I wanted to be behind it,” Dick said.

Dick is originally from Ithaca, New York surrounded by the prestigious Cornell University. She had a dad, uncle and 2 cousins that went to Cornell University. Despite all of this, Dick had a big dream of going to college a little bit farther from home.

“Some people would question why I chose West Virginia for those big dreams but once I visited and I saw the big college town atmosphere and the sports, everything really attracted me there, Dick said.
The big dream of going to West Virginia started a big dream of wanting to be a sports producer.




                                                                        Interview Transcript
1.Speak to the fact on why you didn’t want to go to school in the Ithaca location.

Answer:  Well first off I would have to get into Cornell to go to it. It’s a great school. It’s beautiful. I’m actually from a very small town right in New York. It’s outside. It’s outside of Ithaca where Cornell is. I grew up a huge Cornell fan. My dad went to Cornell Law School. My Uncle ran track at Cornell. Then recently I had 2 cousins that played Lacrosse there at Cornell. So I grew up loving that school. But growing up in a small town I really wanted to get out. And not that I didn’t like my hometown; I actually really liked it a lot. And I look back and at times miss it but I’ve always had big dreams and wanted to go somewhere a little bit further.  Some people would question why I chose West Virginia for those big dreams but once I visited and I saw the big college town atmosphere and the sports, everything really attracted me there. And I really had a connection once I visited.
    
     

 2.What did you envision yourself doing when you got to West Virginia?

Answer: I wanted to go for journalism. I knew that right off the bat. And I wanted to be a sports journalist. I wanted to be the next sideline reporter. I wouldn’t say Erin Andrews. I’m not a huge fan of hers but I wanted to be a sideline reporter as every girl who is interested in sports and wants to go into journalism they all have that dream. But I really think my journalistic dreams evolved as I went through college. I immediately realized that I didn’t want to be on camera. I prefer behind the scenes. I love producing I love writing. And so I went in thinking I’d be on camera and I went out knowing I wanted to be behind it.
     
 
3. What’s the one thing you love about this program right now?

Answer: The one think I love about the program so far, I really like my professors so far. I really do. I think it’s nice to have a different perspective of everything. And I’m definetley starting to learn things that I didn’t learn at West Virginia but I do feel like I had a great foundation coming in. So I’m just building on top of that and I really like that.
     

 4. Is there anybody in the sports media field that really inspires you so that you can take the skills that you got from West Virginia and Syracuse and possibly be that figure? Who is that figure that you really look up to in Sports media?

Answer: Well there are sports journalists that I feel like do a great job. I said a few times that I love Christine Brennan at USA Today. I think she is a pioneer for Women’s sports writers. I think she’s a wonderful lady. And then I also wrote about Michael Kay. I’m a huge Yankee fan so I grew up listening to him. But I also just think he captures fans while their watching the game. And that’s a great quality to have. But at the same time the people that I really look up to are like I said behind the scenes. People that most people don’t know. There was actually a West Virginia alumn his name was Mike Judge and he was a producer and editor for NBC nightly news in DC. And I got to meet him and talked to him and kind of shadow him for a day. And I learned so much from him. And just meeting people behind the scenes I really enjoyed that.


5.Question: Is there one particular job that you would want to do? If so what company, what city?

Answer: Yea I want to be a producer. That would be a dream job. For a sports network would be great. Espn Fox sports one. Either one I’m not too picky at this point. But I do love news as well too. So I can see myself doing like an NBC Nightly News or something like that because as we’ve learned sports aren’t just sports their news as well. So I feel like it’s great to know about sports and have that background knowledge and then maybe take it to a news platform and incorporated it more so that’s kind of something I’d like to do.

Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/robmag-1/emilyaudio-07-14-2014-18-00-41


1 comment:

  1. I have just read this new blog post and I was absolutely amazed. I suppose that every graduate should follow the same attitude related to job hunting. We know that today there are too many graduates and the job market is quite competitive.

    Consequently, the best way to find your dream job is to stand out from other people!

    Celine Goodson @ RMS Recruitment

    ReplyDelete