Thursday, July 24, 2014

First to the Finish Line



By Jonathan Kahn – SYRACUSE, NY (Newhouse Sports)
Nicole Todd wanted to be the first one to finish everything, from high school to undergrad and even graduate school its’ all about who is first.
 “I want to be the first one from 2011 in my high school to get a diploma,” Todd said. “Now I’m going to be the first one with a master’s degree, while they get a bachelor’s.”
Growing up in Herkimer it was the sense of community that Todd liked. Staying near her family is important as well.
 “My family plays an important role in my life, so it’s nice to be close to them,” Todd said. “After high school I went to community college at Herkimer County Community College. Then I transferred to SUNY Oneonta, which again was only an hour drive away from home. Again family playing an important role and being close to them.”
 After high school it only took 3 years for Todd to get her bachelor’s degree, she said it started back in high school.
 “In senior year of high school in 2011 I took a bunch of College Now courses, I did advanced placement also and then when I went to college I was taking 18 or more credits every semester, and I did summer and winter minis to graduate 1 whole year early.”
 Her passion for sports came at an early age. In high school she played tennis, bowling, track, and cheerleading. Then at Herkimer Community College she was on the cross-country and tennis team.
At Oneonta her sports knowledge led to a freelance job with the Daily Star. It was the New York Times but Todd enjoyed her time there.
 “I was in the sports department. I was a freelancer for them and it was fun. It was during basketball season so there was always something going on,” Todd said.
 Syracuse University runs in the family, but Todd wanted her own experience.
“Both my parents got their Masters here from SU back in the day. I want to follow in their footsteps, but take my own path with broadcasting and what I like to do.”

Interview With Nicole Todd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interview


JK: What was it like growing up in Herkimer?



NT: Growing up in Herkimer was very fun.  It was a close-knit community and it’s only an hour away from Syracuse, so I’m still close to home.



JK: Is being close to home something you put a lot of value in?



NT: Yes, my family plays an important role in my life, so it’s nice to be close to them.



JK: After high school you stayed close to home for your undergraduate work?



TD: Yes. After high school I went to community college at Herkimer County Community College. Then I transferred to SUNY Oneonta, which again was only an hour drive away from home. Again family playing an important role and being close to them.



JK: What did you most enjoy at you time at Oneonta?



NT: I enjoyed being involved in the clubs I was in and the people I became friends with.



JK: What were some of the clubs you were involved with?



NT: I became treasurer of the communication arts society and I put a lot of effort into the program that we went down to city and to make a marketing campaign.



JK: You also did a little writing for the paper at your school, correct?



NT: The daily star in downtown Oneonta.



JK: What did you do for them?



NT: I was in the sports department. I was a freelancer for them and it was fun. It was during basketball season so there was always something going on.



JK: Is there a favorite story that you got to cover that sticks with you?



NT: It was mostly high school sports, which I’m not that interested in reporting on. So it was fun, but nothing that stood out to me.



JK: You finished your undergraduate work in 3 years, how did you get that done?



NT: In senior year of high school in 2011 I took a bunch of College Now courses, which are course you can take while being a high school student and get college credit for. I did advanced placement also and then when I went to college I was taking 18 or more credits every semester, and I did summer and winter minis to graduate 1 whole year early.



JK: Why did you want to do that?



NT: Oh wow, I like to stay busy. So doing classes and being productive was pretty easy to do.



JK: Was graduating early, did you have a plan, I want to graduate in 3 years because I want to do… what?



NT: I didn't really have a plan. It was more of I want to be the first one from 2001 in my high school to get a diploma and now I going to be the first one with a master’s degree, while they get a bachelor’s.



 JK: The competitiveness of your classmates is something that really excited you?



NT: Yeah, definitely. I like to be competitive.



JK: Any sports you played growing up?



NT: In high school I did track, tennis, bowling and cheerleading. Then in college I did cross country and tennis.



JK: You are taking 18 plus credits a semester while playing sports, how did you find the time to do all of that?



NT: it was very time consuming, very difficult. But then when I transferred to Oneonta I did not play any sports because I knew I couldn’t keep up with the NCAA and college classes at the same time.



JK: You are here at Syracuse University now, Broadcast and Digital Journalism, what drew you to this program. What made you wan to come to Syracuse?



NT: Well the program in general is number 1 for what we are here to do, so that was an obvious. I only applied here; I kind of had a little push because both my parents got their Masters here from SU back in the day. I want to follow in their footsteps, but take my own path with broadcasting and what I like to do.



JK: Had you not of gotten into SU, was there a plan B?



NT: Go into the work field, I only applied here.





JK: What sort of work field did you want to get involved in?



NT: Anywhere they would accept me.



JK: You are also part of the sports Communication Emphasis, you played sports growing up. How much did that affect you wanting to get into the sports side of journalism?



NT: Well sports to me has always been interesting. It’s an ongoing thing, it’s always in the news.  There is always stuff going on, and its just fun to watch. To be a spectator and reporting on it seems very fun and interesting and your always going to be busy doing it.



JK: If this was graduation day and someone walked up to you and said, “Nicole I have an offer here for your dream job.” What would that offer be? What would that dream job be if you could have any job?



NT: I think anyone’s dream job in this industry would be working for a big network, such as ESPN or NBC Sports or anywhere. I don't really have a dream job, just being in the field locally or big name would be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment