Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Small Town Girl with Big Time Dreams


Jennifer Ready is a 22-year old graduate student at Syracuse University. She grew up in Manheim Township, Pennsylvania, which did not offer a lot of sports and entertainment. Family vacations consisted of summer trips to South Carolina, where Ready fell in love with the area. She later would attend Clemson University as a sports marketing major. “I think for a long time I didn’t really know what I wanted to do,” she said. When we met, Ready had just finished working out at the gym, dawning a Clemson sweater, friendly smile, and hair loosely pulled to the side. Sports, health and nutrition are important elements of her daily routine. After graduating and two marketing internships, Ready came to the realization that it was not the profession for her. She told herself, “You know what? Go for what you’ve always dreamed of doing.” She would then apply to the BDJ program at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications in Syracuse, New York.



Now her goals are set on being a news anchor and sideline reporter in the sports industry.  When Ready was asked who she looks up to as a role model in broadcasting, she took a moment to ponder. “I would say Katie Couric, because I’ve seen her go from news anchor, to talk show host. She’s been versatile…” The most surprising thing about Ready? Her hometown is more popularly known as Amish country, where television shows “Breaking Amish and Amish Mafia are shot.” Ready may be from a small town, but has the passion to make her dreams a reality.



Interview
Michael Silver: I understand you’re from Pennsylvania and did your undergrad at Clemson. What was your major there?

Jennifer Ready: Sports Marketing.

MS: Everyone knows the prestige of Newhouse, but I’m curious what other schools did you apply to?

JR: I applied to Northwestern and UGA.

MS: Why the BDJ program itself?

JR:  I think for a long time I didn’t really know what I wanted to do. Growing up I knew I wanted to do communications, but then when I went to apply for undergrad I didn’t really have the confidence that I could do it. Be in front of a camera, do something so exciting and different. So I went for the traditional business like my Dad was and was kind of scared. My senior year after, after doing two internships in marketing I despised it, I hated it and said ‘You know what, go for what you’ve always dreamed of doing.’

MS: Did you play any sports yourself in high school or college?

JR: I did, I played field hockey, basketball and a little bit of lacrosse.

MS: What are your favorite sports, just as a fan to watch?

JR: Probably as a fan, lacrosse or football.

MS: On the opposite end, what is your least favorite sport?

JR: My least favorite sport is probably golf. I don’t know a lot about it and I don’t like standing and watching slow motion things like that.

MS: Have you met anyone in the industry that you want to get into?

JR: I know someone who worked for ESPN, but he does mostly NASCAR.

MS: Who do you look up to, or someone you want to model yourself after?

JR: That’s a tough one…in general I would say Katie Couric, because I’ve seen her go from news anchor, to talk show host. She’s been versatile and I think she did a very good job when she was at the Today show and really made the Today show what it is.

MS: What is your end goal, your future aspirations? What do you see yourself doing in the famous 5-10 years from now?

JR: I would ultimately like to be a news anchor somewhere, but my dream would be a sideline reporter or reporting sports in any way. Probably would prefer to start in sports over news.

MS: Is there any one sport, if you had to pick that you would want to be on the sidelines for?

JR: Football or lacrosse.

MS: College or pro?

JR: Probably college.

MS: To end this with something fun. Tell me something unique or strange. Something that no one knows about or wouldn’t expect to hear about you.

JR: Oh gosh. I don’t like that question. Um (awkward pause). I’m from Amish country. But I’m not Amish! We have normal roads. Everyone asks if I go to school on a dirt road.

MS: Do people assume you live the Amish lifestyle?

JR: When I went to college, yes….’Breaking Amish’ and ‘Amish Mafia’ are shot in my hometown, but they’re not real.

MS: Did you pick up any accent when you went to Clemson?

JR: Everyone says I came back saying ‘Y’all,’ which I’m very guilty of.

MS: Thank you for the time, I appreciate it.

JR: You’re welcome. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment