Sunday, July 14, 2013

From Fan to Future Sportscaster

© 2013 Jennifer Ready

By. Jennifer Ready



Nearly 249 miles from the Bronx, David Britt shows support for his hometown team even as he sits cross-legged on the cement sidewalk outside the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University to talk with me.

Dressed casually in blue jeans and a Yankees t-shirt, Britt recalls how growing up in the city of the 27-time World Series champs made his love and passion for baseball automatic.

“If you don’t grow up a Yankees fan in the Bronx, there’s really, really,something wrong with you,” he said. “So I always had baseball in my life immediately, that’s what growing up in New York City did for me.” 

Britt, a golfer and bowler himself, says baseball and the New York Yankees have impacted his life in a number of different ways.

“Whenever I’m just bored or I need something to do or I’m upset about something I can just turn on a sporting event, especially baseball and I can just watch and forget everything else.”

The impact of baseball and the Yankees on Britt's life extends beyond just being a die-hard fan. Inspired by sportscaster Bob Costas, he is in Central New York working towards his livelong dream of becoming a play-by-play announcer for the New York Yankees.

Interview with David Britt:


Jennifer Ready: This is Jennifer Ready interviewing Newhouse BDJ grad student David Britt.

Jennifer Ready: Why did you decide to come to Syracuse to pursue a BDJ degree?
David Britt:  Syracuse was the top journalism program in the world, so I’ve been told and for sports journalism it was especially considered one of the best programs in the world. So that’s why I chose Syracuse.

JR: What experience do you have in sports personally?
DB:I played on the bowling and the golf team in high school, golf from sophomore through senior year and blowing junior and senior year.

JR: What was the most rewarding point in your sports career either through golf or bowling?
DB: Golf would have to be the answer and there was the one game where I just… somehow was clutch and kept my team’s playoff dreams alive. And there’s just no way it should have happened. If it was to happen again I would probably find a way to lose the game, but I managed to win.

JR: How did that feel when you were able to do that for your team?
DB: Forget the team, it felt amazing because it was the first time I ever did anything of relevance in golf. So I mean to me, forget the team aspect of it. I was celebrating just because I actually did something good. For the team it was great though because we kept our playoff hopes alive and for a couple of minutes we were happy before we realized to go to the playoffs we had to beat the best team in the league, which was never going to happen.

JR: What is your favorite sport to watch?
DB: Baseball. You can tell by the Yankees shirt.

JR: How have professional sports impacted you the most?
DB: Oh gosh, impacted me the most. Well whenever I’m just bored or I need something to do or I’m upset about something I can just turn on a sporting event, especially baseball, and I can just watch and forget everything else. It’s a lot of fun.

JR: How has growing up in New York all of your life impacted or influenced you in sports?
DB: I grew up in the Bronx, if you don’t grow up a Yankees fan in the Bronx there’s really, really something wrong with you. So I always had baseball in my life immediately, that’s what growing up in New York City did for me.

JR: What has been the biggest challenge that you have faced either academically or in your sporting career?
DB: Academically, see I don’t want to sound like obnoxious about it but academics have never been an issue for me outside of Spanish but that’s another story for another day. Athletically, if you can tell by looking at me, I’m not the most athletic person in the world so that would be where the biggest challenge comes. And… there are so many I don’t even know what to pick on that one honestly. Just athletically, not being athletic in general is probably the issue.

JR: But you’ve done so well in golf, what made you continue and not give up?
DB: I didn’t do well in golf. I had a couple of wins through out my three years on the team, okay more than a couple but I only had the one win of note. And man oh man there’s… I just continue because I love to play. I can’t give up on something before I figure out can I really do it and even when I figure out I can’t, I still want to play.

JR: What is one major goal you want to achieve in your career once you leave Newhouse?
DB:  I want to be a play-by-play announcer for the New York Yankees.

JR: Where do you see yourself in 5 to 10 years?
DB: As a play-by-play announcer for the New York Yankees, I’m kidding, I’m kidding… that would be amazing. In 5 to 10 years? Hopefully I’ve made it to ESPN by then or the MLB network at the very least.

JR: Who is your biggest role model in the industry?
DB: Bob Costas

JR: Why is that?
DB: I always enjoy watching Costas. Whether he’s interviewing anybody, whether he’s calling a game I just find it a fun experience, which goes completely against what my family thinks because my entire family hates Bob Costas for some reason.

JR: Okay great, thank you very much
DB: No problem


To watch the interview, click this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-87WWTi0qQ

No comments:

Post a Comment