Thursday, July 20, 2017

Freitas Chases Childhood Dream

Story and Photo by Matt St. Jean


SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Rafael Freitas traveled nearly 5,000 miles from his home city of São Paulo, Brazil, to work toward a master's degree in broadcast and digital journalism from the S.I. Newhouse School of Communications at Syracuse University. Although the journey was long, starting at Newhouse is the next chapter in continuing his goal of working in sports.

Upon graduating from Escola Superior de Propaganda e Marketing (Superior School of Advertisement and Marketing) in São Paulo, Freitas said he flirted with the idea of entering the sports journalism world, but opted to open a sports advertising agency with colleagues from his university. 

After working for a few years, the stress of running a business took its toll and his passion for sports journalism bubbled to surface. As a result, he turned his sights on the obtaining a master's degree outside of Brazil.

When conferring with contacts in the industry about where to look, one name was on the tip of everyone's tongue: Newhouse. When he came up to visit, Freitas said the school sold itself.

"I fell in love with the whole structure, the whole thing. I was really impressed with the alumni." Freitas said.

Now that he's here, Freitas' aspirations are high.

"I speak Portuguese, Spanish, English and a little bit of French." Freitas said. "So I see myself doing this for a major league team, translating news and producing stuff to viewers outside of America."

Before he gets to the major leagues, Freitas said he looks forward to immersing himself in the Orange sports culture and covering a variety of familiar collegiate athletics.

"I like American football. Basketball, which is huge here." Freitas said. "I know about soccer because it’s in my veins, my blood, it’s a thing I know a lot, so I’ll probably do some soccer and volleyball, too, I like volleyball."

Also, he said he's intrigued to dive into a popular 'Cuse sport he's never experienced.

"Lacrosse, I have no idea how it works, what are the rules, it’s going to be something different, you know, could be good." Freitas said.

No matter what sports he ends up covering, Freitas said he's excited to be at Newhouse and is ready to fulfill his childhood dream of becoming a sports journalist. 


Rafael Freitas Full Q&A

Full Audio of the Interview

Matt St. Jean: Why did you choose Syracuse? Why did you even choose the United States?


Rafael Freitas: So I started to, because I wanted to be a journalist as a child, I have good friends in Brazil and they are [journalists] and they are doing good. They are very close to me. I know the [sports] world because of my agency, I met with lots of journalists because they were good stakeholders for the agency and I started like asking them, do you recommend any college abroad for me to start leaving Brazil. Some of them know some American journalists they know from work and stuff, like international coverage, and they both recommended Syracuse. I came up here in November to see the school and I fell in love with the whole structure, the whole thing. I was really impressed with the alumni, the American journalists here, so I set out. I love this country [U.S.] a lot, like the sports, the TV, the culture, I like the United States. I like Europe as well, but I feel more comfortable here than there, I decided to be here [Syracuse]. I was between here and UCLA, but the alumni here and the whole structure made my decision.


M: It’s only been a few weeks, how has your adjustment been, integrating into the American way of life and how have classes been going so far, with English not being your first language?


R: Yes, it’s been kinda of hard, it’s the first time I’ve taken classes that have been in English, you know, for the whole time and the system is very different. You have to talk, sometimes the teacher calls your name, because in Brazil only the people who want to talk, talk, but sometimes here the teacher asks your name and you have to contribute to the class all the time. It’s been different, but I think I’m doing great not having major problems. One of the reasons why is because in the beginning of the year I did a BDJ program in New York, which helped me a lot. My English is way better, my English is good.


M: How long have you been living in the States?


R: My program was from January to March then I went back to Brazil for April, May, and June, 20 days in June and I’m here since the end of June.


M: What are you looking forward to most in the program? Not just the summer, but the main school year as well.


R: Basically, do a good job to get a job here, any place, anywhere.


M: From a class perspective, what are you hoping to focus on?


R: Ah, to improve my English and my writing. Since I don’t write in English in a long, long time, I only talk and listen. Writing for me way too difficult.


M: Did you find that writing in English is a little more difficult, the way that the language is written is hard to pick up?


R: Yeah, exactly. You have to have a pretty good vocabulary to do online stories, you know? With some good verbs, adjectives, and you have to be good with words. I’m good, but I’m trying to get better and prove to be a good online writer, even though I don’t want to do [online writing]. But you never know what you’re going to get.


M: When you get the certificate saying that you’re now a master, you get your degree from Newhouse, what’s next for Rafael Freitas?


R: Hopefully make some good contacts here and try to work in some network. Or, I see myself working on a major league team. I speak Portuguese, Spanish, English, and a little bit of French. For example, the Dallas Cowboys they have a good segment in Spanish, so I see myself doing this for some major league team, translating news and producing stuff to viewers outside of America or being a reporter.


M: What sports at Syracuse are you looking forward most to covering?


R: Football, because I like American Football. Basketball, which is huge here. I know about soccer because it’s in my veins, my blood, it’s a thing I know a lot, so I’ll probably do some soccer and volleyball because I like Volleyball a lot.


M: Are there any sports that you haven’t come across in Brazil that you’re interested in watching here?


R: Yeah, like for example, lacrosse, I have no idea how it works, what are the rules, it’s going to be something different, you know, could be good.


M:Thank you so much for taking the time out of your night, Rafael and good luck the rest of the year!


R: You too!

No comments:

Post a Comment