Thursday, July 20, 2017

Jared Bomba: Combining Passions Into a Career


Story and photo by Brooke Meenachan

SYRACUSE, N.Y. Khayelitsha, South Africa was only a place Jared Bomba heard of since the moment he set foot on Franklin & Marshall’s campus.

A native of Newmanstown, Pa., Bomba attended Franklin & Marshall studying history and Hispanic cultures while spending most of his time on the soccer field.

Years before his time there, the team captain of the Diplomats died. The family didn’t know what to do with the money being raised, so the Franklin & Marshall head soccer coach decided to put it to good use overseas by building a replica of the the team's field in Khayelitsha, South Africa.

“They used that space to run football and social programming for the kids in Khayelitsha, which is one of the most impoverished places in the world and has extraordinary rates of violence crime,” Bomba said.

His first trip to Khayelitsha came his senior year.

Bomba says his group did a lot of activities on the trip, including bungee jumping and hiking. But he says nothing came close to the feeling of standing on the artificial turf soccer field surrounded by ‘tin shacks and dust’.

It was really just an unbelievable experience,” Bomba said.

Bomba says the experience holds close to his heart as he’s always seen himself working in sports for development. However, he’d like to combine that passion with writing

That passion brought him to Syracuse University to study Magazine, Newspaper and Online Journalism. 

A transcription of my conversation with Jared is below. You can also listen to the audio version by clicking here.

Interview: Q&A with Jared Bomba

Q: We talked a little bit before this interview about your trip to Africa. What was that experience like for you. What possessed you to go there in the first place?
A: Sum it up as quickly as possible. Ten years ago, a rising senior and team captain in the program of the soccer team I played on at Franklin & Marshal College, he passed away in the summer while running a conditioning test. Money was coming to the school and to the family after his death and the family didn’t really know what to do with it. The head men’s soccer coach at the time, and he still is the head men’s soccer coach at F&M, Dan Wagner, decided the best way to do it was to launch a sports for development program somewhere where it was needed overseas. He decided on Khayelitsha, South Africa. It’s a black township just outside of Cape Town. Essentially, they used the money to build a turf replica of the field Franklin & Marshal plays on in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. They used that space to run football and social programming for the kids in Khayelitsha. Khayelitsha is one of the most impoverished places in the world and has extraordinary rates of violence crime, but they’ve seen a lot of improvements since putting the field there. So, every three years the team goes there to experience some of the programming they put on, meet the people that run the programming and essentially see who they are connecting with and raising money for when they do fundraising back home.

Q: So, did you know this person that passed away? Were you close at all?
A: I did not. I began school at Franklin & Marshall in the fall of 2011. He passed away in the summer of 2007. So, while I know several of his teammates, I did not know Chris Campbell, who is the name of the player.

Q: What was the experience like for you in Africa the first time?
A: Well, I was a rising senior when I went the first time and the field in Khayelitsha was something I heard about since the day I step foot on campus. So, it was really just an unbelievable experience. You walk onto the field and there’s just this green emerald of artificial turf soccer field and around it are these tin shacks, grey dust swirling. Visually it’s just incredible. And then you hear about some of the work they’ve done and just how violent crime rate right around the field is. It dropped 44%. We do a lot of other cool things on the trip. We went bungee jumping, hiking in some beautiful parts of South Africa, but none of it comes close to matching what it’s like to just be there on the field and see what it’s brought to the community.

Q: How has it affected you?
A: There was a long time that I wanted to go into sports for development. I actually applied for an internship at the field following my graduation. I lost to a guy that had a public health master’s from John Hopkins. Don’t think I had much of a chance. But it’s something that I kept a hold of. I actually worked for a sports for development program in Lancaster called the Benchmark program, essentially using a gymnasium space to connect with at risk youth and give them some sort of guidance, tutoring, and general help when they need it.

Q: What is your ultimate goal after here?
A: So, the last two years I worked at Franklin and Marshall covering nine different teams and doing all facets of it, directing broadcasts, writing recaps, writing previews, you name it, I covered it for that program. I really liked it. I wasn’t getting paid very much, but I was also able to do things like volunteer for the Benchmark program. I think that my future lies in the written word, probably. So, I would ideally like to do something like Rick Reilly, who I spoke about a little bit. I’ve always admired the way he was able to take some sort of social awareness, most notably in his Nothing but Nets program and really infuse that with his work, probably the greatest sports writer of this century. So, something near what his career looked like is probably where I would like to be.

Q: So, you’ve been to Africa twice now. Are you planning to go back anytime?
A: So the second time I went was about two months ago. I went because I was covering it from a media perspective this time as an assistant coach to the men’s soccer team and media professional for the school. It just made a lot of sense, but I didn’t have to pay to go that time. It was obviously an amazing experience again. I was able to see a lot of cool stuff, take a lot of cool photographs and just connect with people who I really bonded with last time I went, but I don’t anticipate that I will get to go again. I didn’t anticipate that I would go a second time though, so depending on where it takes me, I would love to go back, but as of now, I just don’t have the money and I don’t think I’ll ever have the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment