Friday, July 21, 2017

Monica Ortiz: Pursuing a Pair

Story and Photo by Kent Paisley


SYRACUSE, N.Y.- The best things in life come in twos. Two scoops of ice cream. Two patties on a burger, and two Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

For Monica Ortiz, the twos are master’s degrees.

The recently turned 24-year-old Texas native from the city of Monahans has come to the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications master's program, with a master’s in communications from Texas Tech already in hand.

Ortiz graduated from Texas Tech this past spring, and arrives in Syracuse with dreams of being a sideline reporter.

A portion of Ortiz's realization came from the phrasing of a question of what she wanted to do with her career on an exam.

“Part of the question was could it be taken over by robots in the future… And I put no." Ortiz said.

With her answer in hand, Ortiz's professor helped her secure an internship, resulting in her working for Fox 34 Sports in Lubbock, Texas this past spring.

She then decided to apply to Newhouse. 

Ortiz started her Newhouse career with a lengthy trek by train.

"45 hours, including a 10-hour layover in Chicago." Ortiz said. 

Ortiz will focus on finishing her second Master’s Degree, completing her pair.  


A transcript of my interview with Monica Ortiz is below. Please see the audio here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kent Paisley: Monica, you have one Master’s Degree under your belt already, what inspired you to pursue a second?

Monica Ortiz: Well, while I was getting my Master’s Degree at Texas Tech, I took a Sports Media Class, and the professor asked what we wanted to do in our future career, and the first day of class, I said, do not want to be in the sports industry, I am taking this class because if you’re going into the media industry, you need to know about sports because it’s part of it.

And so I took the class, and then on a test it asked again what do you want to do in your future career, and I said, it it took me a long time to answer the question because I was like I have no idea, like I know I want to like work in the media industry, but exactly what I want to do I, I don’t know. So I just put down a sideline reporter. Cuz part of the question was could it be taken over by robots in the future, the career you want to go into. And I put no, I don’t think that could be taken over by robots.

And so, when I answered the question, she saw my answer, and she responded she’s like I want you to know this is the hardest industry to get into, like the sports industry and like being successful being a broadcaster. And so I said, you know could you help me get started, and so she did. And I started, a few days later I was a runner for Fox Sports, so I got to see what it was like being in the booth with Brady Quinn and (mumbles) Brady Quinn and another guy the play by play guy. I really enjoyed the environment and so I started researching how people were successful in the industry, and I came across Syracuse.  

And, it’s really the only school that intrigued me to go get another Master’s Degree, because I thought there was no point in getting another master’s degree unless I go to Syracuse because it sets you up for success. And so I looked more into the program, and saw that a lot of the alumni were really successful and you know were broadcasters for sports and all that, and so I decided to apply like within a month was the deadline, and I took the GRE and got in.

And so I had to make a decision, do I really want to go back and get another Master’s degree, and I decided yes, it’s worth it, especially when I came and previewed. And so, that’s why I’m here, getting another Master’s degree, hopefully it’ll work out. And.

K: What jobs were you working before you realized you wanted to do a sideline reporter position?

M: What jobs did I start working, well I was in grad school, and I was a TA, so I would just grade some of the student’s papers, and then I became a TA and I like taught a class. I taught public speaking. And there I realized like I had the ability to be in front of people and talk. And so I thought it would transfer over well in front of the camera. And so then I did that, and then, that’s pretty much all I’ve done working wise. I interned at FOX 34 sports this past spring, and work wise, that’s pretty much it. Yeah.

K: And how’s the adjustment been for you moving out of Texas your home state out to New York?

M: Um, It’s been fairly easy, I got off the train, uh and.

K: You took the train here?

M: Yes I took the train here.

K: How long was the train ride?

M: 45 hours. Well, that’s including 10-hour layover at the Chicago train station.

K: That’s a small trek.

M: Yes, I know, so, I’m yeah, was the train ride I don’t recommend ever being in a train that long (laughs), but, but yeah, getting here, getting off the train, everything went over really smoothly. I had a girl who was at Newhouse come pick me up and she actually gave me the ride for free. She said she was going to charge like flat rate of 10 15 dollars. And she was like, no, just like, you know, the next time there’s new students coming, just like do something for them, pay it back, pay it forward. And so then, I came, I met my two new roommates, and I think that made it really easy to be here, as I had friends and everything, and then, you know transitioning into the program everything just went really really quick, so I haven’t had time to be by myself and like think about wow I am so far from my family right now. And so I think that’s made it really easy to just be here and knowing I’m going to get a lot out of this, it’s it’s worth it. So yeah, it’s just been really smooth overall.

K: Absolutely, glad to hear it’s been smooth Monica. And before I let you go, happy birthday!


M: Thanks (laughs).

No comments:

Post a Comment