Friday, July 21, 2017

Kevin Van Pelt: A Passion for the Underdog

Story and photo by Jose Cuevas

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Kevin Van Pelt doesn't just want to report the game, he wants you to know the players and their stories. 

Van Pelt grew up in Lakehurst, N. J. and attended Stockton University in Galloway, N.J. from 2008 to 2013. He studied communications with a heavy emphasis on writing which would in turn inspire his future aspirations and studies. 


His passion stems from the 2000 World Series in which the New York Yankees and Van Pelt's soon to be favorite team, the New York Mets faced off. He said he identified with the Mets as he did not want to do what everyone else was doing by rooting for the Yankees. 

Despite losing the series, Van Pelt developed a passion for following the Mets. 

"They did not win, that's something I've gotten used to now" said Van Pelt. "But I enjoy it. I enjoy the fans are great every time I go to Citi Field whether we are losing ten to zero or winning ten zero, the atmosphere stays the same."

Van Pelt loves to write; he's been developing that passion since he was a kid. 

"As far as the Mets. I really want to get to know the players and know how about how they go about their business" said Van Pelt. "I think the best way to do that is to write for them and then I can be able to share my experiences with all the readers."

Van Pelt now finds himself at the S.I Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University bolstering his writing skills in the rigorous Magazine, Newspaper, and Online Journalism program. He hopes to one day report beyond the diamond and be a beat reporter for his beloved New York Mets. 

Van Pelt said he cares more about pursuing his passion than how much money he makes doing it. 

"I know it may not be the best job when it comes to economics, but it's something I'm okay with because it's something that I love to do."


A transcription of my conversation with Kevin is below but you can catch the audio version here as well. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interview: Q&A with Kevin Van Pelt

Q: Can you please spell and pronounce your name for me?
A: Kevin Van Pelt, K-E-V-I-N  V-A-N  P-E-L-T.

Q: So what is your dream job and what made you pursue your studies here at the Newhouse School?
A: My dream job is to cover the New York Mets. I would love to be a beat reporter for them. Mainly because I love the game of baseball. I also love the idea of traveling for my job. I know it wouldn't be glamorous being a beat reporter but I would love going to all the stadiums covering my favorite team and covering my favorite sport that I love to watch. That's what led me to Newhouse because I've seen so many people who've come to Newhouse wheter it's Mike Tirico or Alan Cavanna or you know....all the list...you can go on and on with the list of writers or announcers who have been here. So that alone made me want to come here knowing how many people have had success coming here. So I figured if they can do it why can't I.

Q: So why the Mets? What specific connection or what moment in your life made you become a Mets fan?
A: My first game I saw, first baseball game I saw was the Mets Yankees World Series in 2000. Everybody was going for the Yankees, um I was a rebel as a kid, um so that just drew me to the Mets saying hey if everyone is doing the Yankees I'm gonna root for the Mets. They did not win, that's something I've gotten used to now. But I enjoy it. I enjoy the fans are great everytime I go to Citi field whether we are losing ten to zero or winning ten zero the atmosphere stays the same. So um I'm really glad I picked the Mets. 

Q: Your major is MNO right? Magazine, Newspaper, and Online? What about writing intrigues you as a medium to tell the stories behind the Mets?
A: I love storytelling, ever since I was a kid I would write, I would just write fiction stories. Growing up I would even, I dabbled into poetry. So I just loved writing all the time. So as far as the Mets. You know I would love not only just covering the games. I would love to get feature stories with Mets players or you know get into their off season habits and routines. So its not just about the game I really want to get to know the players and know how about how they go about their business. How they prepare for the games. I just want to be involved in all of that. And I think the best way to do that is to write for them and then I can be able to share my experiences with all the readers.


Q: You mentioned the game against the Yankees would that be your favorite game that you've ever seen with the Mets?

A: I would say my favorite game. This is my favorite game and my least favorite game, Johan Santana's no-hitter that he threw against the Cardinals. The reason its my favorite its cause, obviously, it was their first no-hitter in the history of the Mets. And it was at home so the crowd got into it and it was a really special moment. But the reason it's also my least favorite game is, I won tickets to that game. It's the only time in my life I've ever given away tickets. And so I gave them away not knowing history would happen. So when I was at home it was the eight inning. Yohan was still giving up no hits and I was rooting for the new hitter. But at the same time I was hoping someone would get a hit. Because I didn't want to be the person who gave up tickets to history. Which is what I ended up doing. So after the game was over initially I was kind of angry. But after I let my personal feelings go away like ten fifteen minutes later I was really excited and really glad I at least got to watch it. 





Q: So it seems like you're very passionate about the Mets and in general about baseball. This is going to be a very broad question.  So why the sports concentration emphasis? I feel like you've mentioned it, but just in your own words, what drew you to picking this program at Newhouse?

A: Well sports is definitely my passion. You're right about that. Specifically I would say baseball. So for me I just want to do something for a career that is something that I love and that something that I enjoy. And while I enjoy doing other things in life such as traveling, there's nothing that would fulfill my life more than working with a passion of mine which is sports, and baseball, and the Mets. So I know it may not be the best job when it comes to economics, but it's something I'm okay with because it's something that I love to do.



Q:Thank You!

A: No problem!














No comments:

Post a Comment