Friday, July 21, 2017

Passions of the Hardwood

Story and Photo by Ivan Traczuk

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - At first glance it's easy to detect that Zach Staton is a sports fan. He presents himself often in gym shorts and dry fit tee-shirts bearing the logos of his favorite teams. 

Being involved in basketball only up to his sophomore year of high school, Staton had no expectation of showcasing his athletic talents on the professional hardwood. Actually, he wouldn't realize his dream until the age of 19 while watching a University of Virginia basketball game.

With the game on the line, Justin Anderson made a sensational block to preserve the win over Maryland. But it wasn't the play so much as the call made by Sean McDonough that gave Staton  goosebumps.

"His ability to get out of the way and let the moment breath but also summarize it so well and in so many words, it gave me chills," Staton recalls.

From that day on, Staton was motivated to document compelling sports stories through a play-by-play medium. He is currently pursuing those dreams in the Broadcast and Digital Journalism graduate program at the Newhouse School of Communications at Syracuse University and one day aspires to announce for the NBA and bring his newfound talents and passions back to the familiar hardwood.

To listen to my entire interview with Zach Staton, click the link below.  
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5pjKSyrxfq6QkZZREVBdDBiaHM


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interview Q&A with Zach Staton



Q: I read your bio, and it started off after high school, so I kinda want to start off before that. So, tell me about how did you get into sports originally?
A: I kind of grew up with them, really. My dad is a huge sports fan, and they were always on in my house, so it just kind of became a thing that I was always connected to. He is a giant Red Sox fan. The first game, I think I can ever remember watching was a Yankees Red Sox game, and the Yankees just stomped them, and for whatever reason I just got connected to sports because of that. It was just the relationship between me and my dad that kinda got me started. 

Q: So growing up in Virginia you don’t really have a set team. Is that why you went to the Red Sox or did your father grow up in Boston? 
A: No, my dad’s dad was a Red Sox fan. I don’t know where that came from, and then my dad was a Red Sox fan and now I’m a Yankee fan, so I’ve kinda ruined the tradition for them, but we kind of grew up more as college sports fans. Where I was raised is 45 minutes away from Virginia Tech, and, of course, we bucked tradition on that one and were huge Virginia fans. So just getting into sports was more along the lines of first getting your fix on live high school sports, especially football in my hometown, and then college scenes grow on you and then as you get older you start getting into more professional stuff. 

Q: Did you play any sports when you were growing up?
A: I was a basketball player and baseball player up until middle school and then I solely concentrated on basketball until my sophomore year of high school and then I wasn’t any good.

Q: Ok, fair enough. Let’s move on into college. I saw you have a coaching minor, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen before. Could you kind of talk me through that?
A: Yeah, so at Bridgewater I was doing a Communication Studies major, but there wasn’t a concentration in sports journalism or a concentration where you could just do sports, so I was volunteering with our athletic media relations just trying to get that experience, but I wanted something else to kind of sink my teeth into that could bring more perspective into reporting and more play-by-play announcing whatever the case may be, so my two options were either business, because of all the contracts. Every organization in professional sports is a business or coaching. You can get inside the psychology of what a coach goes through, how they plan, what the preparation process looks like, and that interested me more. And plus, if for whatever reason, if somehow, I become a coach that would be awesome. So, I just decided that the coaching minor would give me that perspective and would be something interesting because business didn’t interest me as much as other things would have. This was something that I’d never studied before, so I wanted to learn and hopefully use that to whatever I do, reporting or announcing.

Q: Yeah, I feel like coaching is one of those things, kind of like communications where the education doesn’t really matter, you know? It’s the experience of either playing or assisting, but I think that’s really cool that you had the opportunity to actually look into it and learn the basics of it. So while you’re at Bridgewater College, you did a lot of play-by-play. What got you into wanting to do play-by-play over anything else?
A: So this goes back to a Syracuse alum actually. As big of a Virginia fan as I am, Sean McDonough was calling a Virginia Maryland game, and he had my favorite call of all time after Justin Anderson blocked a shot from Maryland and ended up leading to a 3 down on the other side. It gave me goosebumps. The way he called it, his ability to get out of the way and let the moment breath but also summarize it so well and in so many words, it gave me chills, and so I immediately decided that that’s what I want to do. That’s my dream is to kind of get to where he’s at. So, to do that you have to volunteer. You gotta just pound the pavement, work as hard as you can and in any sport that you can. So, I wasn’t doing play-by-play every single week for football. I’ve done a handful of them because they had a professional guy do that and basketball, but I had opportunities to do all the non-revenue sports like lacrosse, or soccer, even swimming. And through that you work your way up into getting spots in football games and basketball games. It was just, once I heard Sean McDonough, it was just over. I knew that that’s what I… I knew I wanted to be like him, which is weird because I was 19-years-old when I decided, “That’s who I wanna be like!”

Q: So while you’re doing all this play-by-play for these smaller sports, lacrosse, soccer, like you said swimming, do you think that expanded your love for sports or do you think that kind of melded your passion for sports into more “I want to do some play-by-play” versus the stereotypical “I want to be an athlete when I grow up?”
A: I think it probably blended the two. I’ve always loved sports and this was- I was never going to play them, and there’s no better joy in sports than playing them. So, there’s either you get into coaching, which I’m already at a disadvantage with that because I didn’t play or you can announce and you can be at these games and you don’t have a stake in the games. So, yes there’s stress and pressure of getting the call right, but it’s more- you get to describe the game to the viewers. You get to, not necessarily decide the story, but you can document the story. You can tell other people stories, and that’s something that’s just always interested me. So I think it just- it blended this passion that I had for sports with this newfound desire to get involved with announcing, which became an easy route to just stay involved with sports as much as possible. 

Q: So you co-hosted The Sports Hotline, which was the first show at Bridgewater, correct?
A: Yes, and it was a very dumb name.

Q: How did that differ from play-by-play announcing?
A: That’s a lot more opinionated. One of the things that I did with play-by-play announcing, pretty much, except for maybe a handful of times, I was just by myself, so I was having to do the play-by-play and some analysis. There was some opinion in what I was doing, but with hosting a radio show, now your personality is showing a little bit more. You’re showing your opinions, you’re getting passionate, you’re getting- or for me I’m very loud and passionate, so it just gave me the opportunities to explore that realm of broadcasting and learn how to kind of get my facts straight, interpret them, and then be able to form an opinion that I could tell to a listening audience. It definitely differs a little bit, but they’re still enjoyable either way.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment