Thursday, July 20, 2017

Teraiz Pitta: Producing a Dream

Story and photo by Corey Crisan

SYRACUSE, N.Y. –- Finding your niche and running with it at a young age is a very difficult thing to do. However, Fresno native and Newhouse Master's student Teraiz Pitta is one who found "it" early.

"I was actually editing a spoof on Romeo and Juliet for my (high school) freshman honors English class," Pitta said. "I fell in love with the editing process. I took summer school for two years, and my first year in multimedia, (my teacher) said 'I need a promo for the football team,' and I said okay, I'll do it."

She built upon the skills and this budding passion for production into the start of her career at her hometown Fresno State University. She worked as a videographer for the Bulldogs' athletic department and created some unforgettable memories, including being in the locker room for Fresno State's 2013 Mountain West Championship Game victory.

"I was a camera operator for that game, and I got to be in the locker room with (quarterback) Derek Carr and (wide receiver) Davante Adams before the game started and afterwards," she said. "I was helping produce that on the live broadcast of the game and it was really intense."



The full interview with Pitta can be found in the transcription below. You can also listen to it by clicking here.

...

Interview with Teraiz Pitta:


CC: So, I checked on your bio on the Newhouse (Sports) site. You said you played every sport possible? Now does that include the curling and rowing and all that stuff? Get into that for me.
TP: Yeah, I actually want to edit that so it's specific to the sports that I played. I played volleyball, basketball, softball, tennis, and I also ran track and field. And then, I continued with soccer all the way up until my sophomore year in high school.

CC: So you played soccer the most. Would you say that was your favorite?
TP: Believe it or not, I played it the most because that's where my friends were at, which is probably the wrong decision... to stick with it. My two favorites were volleyball and basketball.


CC: We all have backgrounds in sports. I assume you have a favorite sports team out there? Who would it be?
TP: Professional or college?

CC: Yes.
TP: Okay, so, professional... So, a lot of people might hate me for this, but I am a Raiders fan for football.

CC: That's okay.
TP: Yeah, and baseball, I am a Giants fan. (I) grew up going to their games. That's like, my childhood. And then basketball... people are probably going to think, like, 'You must like suffering,' because I am a Kings fan. A Sacramento Kings fan. I like mostly Nor-Cal teams.

CC: Who's your favorite player to watch in sports?
TP: (laughs) So, this is going to be really biased, but, Derek Carr. 

CC: Derek Carr?
TP: Yes, the quarterback for the Raiders, because I worked for him at Fresno State his junior and senior year, and I filmed all his practices, traveled to every game with him, and it's been really cool to see him develop in the NFL. 

CC: So, again, in your bio, I saw, and you talked about it, too... You stopped playing sports and you started filming for your high school football team. Was there much thought process into getting into this field (of sports media?)
TP: So, there was kind of a thought process, but it also kind of did just fall into my lap. I was actually editing a spoof on Romeo and Juliet for my freshman honor's English class. You know, big production! But I fell in love with the editing process, like, 'This is crazy that I get to put something up on T.V. and I get to manipulate it with music and picture,' and I said that I wanted to actually sign up for the class. I told the teacher that as soon as I was done editing. He said, 'Well, you'll need to take summer school in order to fit that class into your schedule,' so I took summer school for two years and in my first year in multimedia, he said, 'I need a promo for the football team.' I went out and I said, 'Okay, I'll do it!' I filmed the promo and then the coach said, 'Hey, if you would like a job, I can pay you to film all our football games,' and that was kind of how it started.

CC: So, from there, what intrigues you about the whole producing side and editing? What intrigues you about it the most?
TP: So, what intrigued me the most about it was that I was able to be creative, but I was working with technology. There was something about working with technology, setting things up, making things work, importing and exporting, working with cords and cables, that confuse people. It didn't really confuse me. So that was one side of it. And then the creative process of it... I couldn't believe that I was getting paid to create a promotional video for football... A sport that I actually wasn't even allowed to watch when I was a kid. My mom didn't like us watching sports, so I didn't start watching it until I started working, and I fell in love with sports as I started working for them.


CC: Why didn't she let you watch them?
TP: She just said we have more productive things to do... yep... than sit around in front of the T.V., so my dad... she wouldn't let him watch sports, either.


CC: Wow.
TP: Yeah. Sad household, right? (laughs)

CC: You told your parents (you) got into Syracuse University for sports production. How did they take that, then?
TP: Well, now, they kind of flipped the switch and they're supportive because I worked for the athletic department at Fresno State for five years, and then I worked for some of the companies I mentioned in my bio, also, and basically, without saying 'I told you so,' my actions have been able to say, 'Hey, look, I am able to make a career out of this,' and I know I'm part time while I'm in school, but I want to make it further, so they're proud now. Then... my mom was just hesitant about even letting me go  to a football game because she was so strict.


CC: You said you worked at Fresno State for five years in the athletic department. What was your favorite memory working for them?
TP: My favorite memory is when we won the Mountain West Championship in 2013. I was a camera operator for that game and I got to be in the locker room with (quarterback) Derek Carr and (wide receiver) Davante Adams before the game started and afterwards, and I was helping produce that on the live broadcast of the game, and it was really intense.


CC: So that's where your love for Derek Carr comes in?
TP: Yes!


CC: Well, Teraiz, we've talked a lot about sports, but what's your favorite non-sports thing to do?
TP: Favorite non-sports thing to do... I was actually a hip-hop dancer while I was in college, so dance in any kind of form, basically, is a good de-stresser for me that I like to do in my free time, if I have it.


CC: That's awesome! Last question. This is a tough one... Okay? Ready? In three words or less, explain your experience at Syracuse so far.
TP: (Long pause) Intense... challenging... worth-it.


CC: Teraiz Pitta, you're off the hot seat. Thank you!
TP: Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment