Friday, August 5, 2016

Bridget Chavez: A Teacher and A Student

Andrew Leffler - Syracuse, N.Y. -- Aspirations of pursuing a journalistic path were always prevalent in Bridget Chavez, but felt experiencing a different aspect of society would be best. 

Graduating in 2014, Chavez decided to put her passion on hold and experience a different sector of the world. Upon receiving her diploma, Chavez headed west. Moving to San Francisco, California,

Chavez worked for “Teach For America” (TFA), which is a nonprofit organization, which selects college graduates to teach K-12 in low-income communities all across the United States.

Chavez says TFA brought her to the realization that her life was much more fortunate than most.

“I think I was very sheltered to the world. I felt terrible for the kids I taught, and what they grew up around.” Chavez found TFA very beneficial. “I think it was good in terms of seeing what other people are going through.” 

Teaching and learning are two big themes that Chavez deems important. With her skills as a teacher, Chavez is ready to tackle her next chapter in life as a student. 





Andrew: Where are you from? Where did you attend undergrad? And what did you major in?

Bridget: I am originally from Belen, New Mexico, and I attended the University of New Mexico which is in Albuquerque. The University is an hour away from my hometown. I majored in journalism, mass communications, and political science, receiving two bachelors.

Andrew: Did you recently graduate?

Bridget: I graduated in 2014, and I after I graduated I moved to California for "Teach For America" (TFA), so I've been doing TFA the last two years. I lived in San Fransisco, but taught in San Jose, focusing on special ed in Kindergarten.

Andrew: How did you hear about the Newhouse Program, and what attracted you to it most?

Bridget: I had always looked into going to grad school for journalism, but obviously I decided to take the TFA route first. At my old station, during undergrad, I worked for the ABC affiliate in Albuquerque, and a lot of the reporters there had amazing things to say about Newhouse, and there were a few alums there who said, "you have to do this program."

Andrew: What was the most beneficial part of having those two years of work experience, and what did you learn?

Bridget: I was in graduate school and TFA at the same time. It is definitely different. I have way more time on my hands now because having a full time job and going to school full time was psychotic, and I have no idea how I did it. But I think for TFA it was life experiences. I think I was very sheltered to the world, how bad it is. I mean I felt terrible for the kids I taught, and what they grew up around. I think it was good in terms of seeing what other people are going through.


Andrew: As far as the sports route, when were you attracted to sports?

Bridget: I did my first internship in D.C. my freshman year of college, and I was working for a print newspaper. From the program, which was through Georgetown, different speakers were set up, as well as different places where you could go visit. I ultimately signed up for "Pardon The Interruption" and I got to watch the taping. I had the opportunity of meeting Tony Kornheiser, and he is pretty much the reason I found an interest for sports. I was like oh my god I can totally do this. He was great at giving advice.





No comments:

Post a Comment