Friday, August 5, 2016

Robert Orazietti : The Graduate Student Athlete




Story and photo by Dontae Harris 



Syracuse, N,Y. -- What are the odds of your second leading scorer forgoing his last year of eligibility? Pretty good, it seems when he gets into the Newhouse masters program at Syracuse University. 

Robert Orazietti is a graduate student who plans to live the best of both worlds.

Orazietti is following his dreams on and off the field. He will be playing for the Syracuse University Lacrosse team and he will also be studying Television, Radio and Film. This is an opportunity that Orazietti said he could not let slip away, 

Any change in life is a risk but its something I’ve always dreamt of,” said Orazietti during an interview.

Orazietti majored in Film and Media when he was an undergraduate at Lafayette College, which is where he says he fell in love with film. Orazietti was the second leading scorer for the Lafayette College Lacrosse team in 2015 with 20 goals.

Another opportunity Orazietti could not pass up at Syracuse is that he will be playing lacrosse with his younger brother Alec Orazietti. The 2017 season will be Alec’s second season on team. This will be the first time that the brothers play on the same team. Rob says he is better than Alec. 

“I’m better, I’m the older brother,”he said.

He also said being at Syracuse is a dream that he has to take advantage of.

“Newhouse at Syracuse University is one of a kind. That’s why I’m here.”


The Interview:
Q: Where are you from?
A: I am from North Jersey and I am here for a graduate program. I am doing television, radio and film at Newhouse. I got into this program and it was an opportunity I saw and couldn’t let slip away and I decided to make the transition to come here. Obviously it was a risk. Any change in life is a risk but its something I’ve always dreamt of. I’ve always loved film. I’ve always loved aspects of it. At my undergrad at Lafayette I was a film and media major, that’s where I fell in love with it. I started doing the finance route and I minored in economics. I did internships and private wealth management and worked at a couple firms. I realized that this is not what I want to do. Newhouse is such a special place with incredible opportunities and an incredible network. It’s a year that I want to make the best out of. Its what you put into it and hopefully I meet a lot of great people. This is my 3rd week of classes and the professors have been outstanding. Newhouse at Syracuse University is one of a kind. That’s why I’m here.

Q: What made you get into lacrosse?
A: My dad played football in college at Northeastern back when they actually had a program and he was a big baseball guy. When I was growing up he had me playing baseball. I had a batting cage in my backyard. He used to make me go out there and hit some balls. I used to be good. I was on the travel team. I made the all-star team for our area. One day I couldn’t hit the ball. My dad has always been real hard on me. We took a trip to Philadelphia and I realized at a museum that I couldn’t see. I realized I needed glasses in the third grade. That’s why I started being terrible at baseball. Before that I told my dad I quit and that I hate baseball. I started playing lacrosse. One of my dad’s co-workers was a college all American at Rutgers. He started giving me lessons and I started falling in love with the sport. I played football my entire life so I liked contact. I just fell in love with the game of lacrosse. Lacrosse is still relatively new even now but it’s the fastest growing sport in the country.

Q What is your favorite goal that you ever scored?
A: My junior year, we were down by one and the ball is in my hand and I had the opportunity at the last shot. Coach drew up a play and 2 games before that I was in the same situation. We were playing Loyola. The quarter was winding down and I missed the shot. Coach said keep your head up, you’ll get the next one. I was pretty bummed out about it. It wasn’t like I lost the game but I had a chance to tie it. We were playing Manhattan College and were down one with 10 seconds left and I hit a buzzer beater with two seconds left to put the game into overtime.

Q: Who is better in lacrosse you or your brother?
A: I’m better; I’m the older brother. We play two different types of games. He’s more of an off ball type of player. He has always been a good shooter but he needs people to get him the ball. He is not the one that is going to create. I’ve always had been a heavy dodger because I can create my own shot. I am a creator. I can pass and shoot. I am very versatile. I am someone who likes to have the ball in my stick and make plays. I’m not going to give him credit. I will say that I’m better.

No comments:

Post a Comment