Saturday, August 6, 2016

Michael Baron: Balancing Work and Fandom

Story by Robert Schiff
Photo from oneguysjourney.wordpress.com


            SYRACUSE, N.Y.-- Michael Baron grew up rooting for the Mets. Now, he gets to write about them. "Being involved with the media I think helped drive me to become a better fan," he said in a telephone interview. 

Baron is not a traditional sports writer. He used to take photos at Mets games just for fun. That is until some of his photos drew the attention from SNY, the Mets local TV station. Baron began posting pictures, and eventually started writing for the Mets blog called JustMets in 2008, which was hosted by MLB.com.

Baron isn't like other traditional beat writers. Before writing for the blog, Baron referred to himself as a computer guy with a camera.

Despite not having the extensive background in journalism, Baron is still able to engagingly inform the Mets’ fan base. He doesn’t just state the facts.

Baron says he used to have a tough time being critical of the players he roots for. But after years of being close to the front office, and having a better relationship with the players and front office personnel, Baron doesn't have a problem criticizing a player that isn't playing well.

"The bottom line is performance," he said. 



The Interview  CLICK HERE FOR THE AUDIO VERSION

Robert: Can you just say your name and spell it, and also give me your job title?

Michael: I’m Michael Baron. M-I-C-H-A-E-L. Last name Baron, B-A-R-O-N. I currently am employed by MLB.COM, but I’m not an affiliated writer at this time.

Robert: Ok, great. Alright. So the question I’ve been wanting to ask. I know you’re a huge Mets fan, and you know, we share that in common. Do you have a tough time balancing your love for the team knowing that you have like an obligation to your, to the people that look to you for advice on the team or you know, just updates on the team? Do you feel likeDo you do a good job balancing the two?

Michael: well I think in my case I cant speak for others but I'm sure other people might say the same thing. I think that fandom sort of drives that balance. I mean you know its helped me, early on, I probably struggled with the emotional side of it, because um, you know, I was still kinda like that fan boy when I first started back in 2008-2009, but over time having learning to deal with, and learning to deal with you know, people associated with teams, and players, things like that, I think its helped me to, it helped me to become a better fan, so to speak.Does that make it hard to understand? because I had a greater understanding, I acquired a greater understanding of how teams work you know, clubhouse dynamic, you know, how the front office thinks, you know, what they're trying to do so on and so forth., I think Its helped me become a better fan. Um, and you know certainly being involved with the media I think helped drive me to become a better fan.

Robert: Right. um, Ok. I saw...It’s kind of a similar question. Do you have a tough time balancing, you know, being, I know you have to be critical of players depending on how they perform? Do you feel like its tough to be critical of players that you root for, and you know, that you spend most of your time rooting for as a fan because I feel like a lot of, you know, sports writers are a little more separated from the team, and the thing I love about your reporting is that you’re a fan, first and foremost, and I don’t think it ruins your, you know, updates, but, do you have a tough time being critical of players that you essentially, you know, want to do well?

Michael: No, I think there’s, there has to be a balance. Obviously you have to watch what you say in public, but that doesn't mean I don't think the things that other people think, but I also have, like I said, I have a greater understanding of the whats and the whys with the club and the organization, and how you know, the roster is designed, and why its designed a certain way. um, but you know, the bottom line is performance, and it doesn't matter how a roster is designed, and you know, what I think and what I know, you know, for instance Neil Walker is a great example. Like, we agree he has stunk for three months period, and it doesn’t matter how he's being used, and it doesn't matter what they're trying to with him, in the end he's hitting .210 over the last 3 months or whatever it is, so, you know I think as long as I'm being fair and thats a fair critique of a player, I don't think he can have a problem with it, I don't think the organization can have a problem with it. You know sandy Alderson said, the media both publicly and privately, look i don't care what you say, as long as you're being fair and as long as youre being reasonable, so is it fair if I said that Neil walker was really having a good year because he a had good month? is that a fair analysis? no I don't think so. it might make him feel a little bit better. But I think he knows you know, how well he's doing and I think he knows what people are thinking, what people are saying and its hard for him to disagree. like, he knows, he’s a multimillionaire, and this is his business, so I think he know when he's doing well, and when he's not doing well, and he knows especially in New York, you know, if he's not doing well people are going to say, hey you're hitting .210 over the last 3 months, you know, the same could be said on the opposite end of the spectrum when he was doing well in April he hit the 9 home runs,  everybody saying wow he’s off to a great start, know can he keep it up, thats a fair credit to a fair question, again, its just about being fair, and you know I think, i think the media doesn't get enough credit for, you know the fairness that they give to the organization, and the team, especially read Adam Rubin, and I don't think he ever says anything negatively or positive. I think he just poses the facts and that’s the end of the story, and I think thats a perfectly fine analysis. he's not saying Neil walker stunk but he’ll say Neil Walker is really struggling since May 1st, which…whats the difference. Its just about the, its about the words you use, I may say he stinks mean, Adam may say he's been struggling, we are all pretty fair when it comes to that reason.

Robert:  Alright, I agree. Um, alright. A couple more questions. What would you say is your favorite moment as a Mets fan?

Michael: Oh my god. Um, you know, the club gets bad wrap because theyve have a lot, they probably had more dark days than light days but you know, at the same time, you know when you think over the last year there have been a lot of good and memorable times with the organization but certainly in my lifetime, the greatest moment I've ever experienced at the ballpark was Buckners, the Buckner ball. That was just surreal really six or seven minutes in baseball history. Um, you know i remember I always, whenever anyone asks me that question I always go back to that, but you know, certainly you know I was there for Todd Pratt’s home run against the Diamondbacks, um, you know to win the division in 1999, I was there when they clinched the pennant in 2000 and you know, I remember bobby jones ‘1 hitter in 2000 when he clinched the division series against the Giants, that was the single greatest pitching performance I've ever seen in my life, just given you know, the circumstances and the implications of the game. Um, you know, those are probably the greatest moments of my lifetime as a Mets fan.

Robert: Alright, Ill get you outta here on this one.

Michael: Its ok, I got time.

Robert: (laughs) Do you think the roster we have now Do you think we have enough to repeat what we did last year? Um, and what would you say we do need if we don’t have enough right now?

Michael: You know, That’s an excellent question because on paper, I look at the roster, and, to me even without David Wright and arguably Lucas Duda ,i think there are enough players here to win a world championship, and Matt Harvey, Ill throw that in there, I think you know they have 3 or 4 starters that could win any postseason series but theres been so much underperformance between Walker you know we talked about walkers problems, Asdrubals Cabereras problem with runners in scoring position especially have been well documented, Curtis Granderson problem with runners in scoring position again well documented, Theres not,  to me, they have a lot of good players not performing well together, and part of winning a world championship is having players that feed off each other. Um, good team oriented approaches to hitting. Um, good situational pitching which is a very underrated aspect of a team, you know, pitching to your defense, knowing the situation, knowing when you need a double play and pitching to try and get a double play,  rather than you know trying to get an out or strikeout, thats all part of winning championships, ‘and with the roster right now its hard to say that this club is good enough to win a championship just because they’re not, they haven't played that well, and again thats fair criticism, since may 1st they're about a .500 team and .500 teams don't get to the playoffs and win championships. Um, you know, but Sandy Alderson can, you know, find a way to sure up the bullpen, maybe deepen the bench a little bit before next Monday’s trade deadline you know things change really quickly, we saw that last year you know, in this week, this was a team a year ago, you know, I don't think anyone on july 24th or July 25th, 2015 said this team’s gonna make the playoffs. you know they were about a 500 team they were meandering behind the nationals, but then they got Cespedes and the whole dynamic of the team changed and I don't think they necessarily need a Yoenis Cespedes or that kind of impact bat to make a change they just need to start cause i don't think getting Yoenis Cespedes 2 is gonna change a lot about the offense. Changes come from within, changes have to come from within the Grandersons, the Walkers and the Cabreras, and start playing better and hitting better in situations, you know Im not even talking about Cabrera even breaking the 0 for 32 skid with runners in scoring position Im talking about with a runner on 2nd and a runner at 3rd and less than two outs you hit the ball to right side, thats just as good as getting a hit cause that usually scores a runner or advances a runner right? So you know,  those are the things that need to change and if those things can change they're gonna start to win games more consistently, and i think you saw it a little bit at times against you know on this last road trip, um, but they’re still depending way too much on HR and you look back to Friday and they had a couple of sac flys that scored runs but they still won that game because Loney hit the two or the three run homer at the end right because the marlins because the marlins scored a run against Familia and that homerun was the difference in the game.

Robert: I think Loney’s been huge, Loneys been a huge addition.

Michael: He has been a tremendous asset to this team. He’s exactly the type of hitter Im talking about. He sprays the ball all over the field, he knows how to move runners along with runners in scoring position, you know, he has occasional pop and he’s had some huge hits with this team, but theres something very underrated with Loney has been his defense, hes saved this defense the infield defense on so many diff occasions, saved so many diff runs, with scoops and his range at 1b, you know hes not the perfect player hes not a superstar, hes exactly the kind of player any team should want, hes a winning player, he always seems to come through in the clutch, he showed that with Tampa Bay and the years he was there and hes doing it again with the Mets I think Lucas Duda may reclaim his job when he comes back i think you can make an argument that they need to find another place for Duda or Loney to play.

Michel: how can you take that presence out of the lineup especially in big situations down the stretch but that I think it still remains to be seen and what is it the bigger question and what is Duda gonna be when he comes back?  Broken backs there is scar tissue in there and may limit his bat speed and his ability to be out on the field so thats a problem for later but I think those are questions that need to be answered.

Robert: I agree. Im looking forward to the rest of the season. I think we as bad as we've played for long stretches this year to be only a few games back at this point and still be in the lead for the wild card is to me its amazing. How many bad stretches of baseball we've had?

Michael: I dont know what Miami did last night. let me look at the standings.

Robert: I believe they lost. think were a half-game ahead.

Michael: If Miami lost they'd probably be tied because the Mets didn't play last night. let me look, Im looking right now. Washington didn't play, they are tied with the marlins for the second wild card.

Robert: Oh, ok.

Michael: I mean look, when a team is struggling, when you have a lot of injuries like this, you look at that, this team still has what it takes, the fact that they can be missing their two corner infielders. one is their team leader btw who is amazing presence and amazing person. you know to have underperformances from the 3 of the 8 starters on a regular basis, and to be tied for the wild card

Robert: Ill take it.

Michael: you’ll take it. now you just need a couple pieces to taker the next couple of steps, and thats what this week is for. I think, Im not saying again, like sandy needs to make big moves, but you know, he probably needs to replace De Aza on the roster and get a bonafide major league player in that roster spot. you know a guy maybe that can spell Cabrera on regular basis, or you know Jose starts to tail off, you know get a utility player who can fill a role on the left side of the infield

Robert: to be honest, Nimmo was great when he was up here. he had some good ABS

Michael: you kinda see the holes in his games, hes gonna struggle against lefties. Hes got kind of a one dimensional swing and Im not saying hes a power hitter cause I dont think he established himself as power hitter in minor leagues, but he has holes in strike zone and thats what really, scouts have been concerned with. part of his development, not every, Ken Griffey is the 1st number one draft pick to make the hall of fame, so it speaks to the issue of, you know the draft being a complete crapshoot, look at piazza, he was the last pock in the 88 draft and hes in the hall

Michael: you know most picks don’t work out you hope you know in every draft you develop 1 or 2 major league players and thats it its very difficult, you know, but you know it looks like Dom Smith is starting to come around they seem to have a gem in Ahmed Rosario I saw him play last year he has tremendous 5 tool talent hes just a little bit away hes hitting and hes performing

Robert: Im sure we’ll talk again and chat on twitter or email and be on a similar roller coaster of emotions. throughout the year

Michael: as you get older it becomes a lot easier because there are just bigger things in life

Robert: I think that does bode well for, cause I have a friend thats seen the 69 and 86 championships when I'm stressing out at home that sound minor to him, having those 2 championships i think helps the hardships when you havent really dealt with too many positives because i became a fan in the early 90s, so Ive had a few good moments but its been mostly tough

Michael: you became a fan at a bad time

Robert: It was mostly tough.

Robert: Bernard Gilkey and butch Huskey, those are the two jerseys I had when I was a kid

Michael: How old are you?

Robert: I’m 30.

Michael: You’re 30. So you’re not too much younger than me. When I was 30, um, I was probably still quite emotional Id get a little crazy about it, my attitude is Im as big a fan as they come, Ive learned that you know, if they win, its gonna be completely awesome, but if they lose, nothing is gonna change thats just kinda what, thats just the attitude you gotta adopt and it makes dealing with it a lot easier, doesn't mean i don’t get angry i mean in was like you know i remember during the Atlanta series when the braves were here 6 weeks ago, i was completely outraged

Robert: It was brutal.

Michael: and I posted on twitter this is embarrassing, humiliating, not a performance and this wasn't a major league team, I said something along those lines. But like I said, if they don’t make it to the postseason this year, the snow is still gonna fall this winter.

Robert: Absolutely

Michael: You know so you have to just keep it in perspective especially when you get married have kids theres bigger things in life it doesn't mean Im not passionate about but you realize there are far, you have far greater problems than worrying about the issues that millionaires have.

Robert: Right, absolutely. Alright Michael thanks for your time I appreciate it and hopefully we’ll talk soon.

Michael: Yeah my pleasure, anytime dude.

Robert: Thanks a lot.








No comments:

Post a Comment