Saturday, July 20, 2019

"As Pure a Sport as You Can Find" - An Interview with Tanner Russ


       SYRACUSE, N.Y. - To some people, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is nothing more than a ruthless blood sport. But to others, such as Newhouse graduate student Tanner Russ, MMA is an artistic expression of raw human energy and emotion disguised as a sport.
“…For about 10 years now, I've really been in love with [MMA]… and, like, the carnival freakshow that it is,” Russ told Newhouse Sports. “It’s the literal contesting of wills; as pure a sport as you can find. There’s just something about watching two people just beat the shit out of each other, y’ know?”
MMA, or rather, sports in general, has played a major role in Russ’s life. Growing up in the small town of Silverton, Oregon, there really wasn’t much for Russ to do apart from sports.
Tanner Russ (left) enjoying some East Coast livin'.
“I dabbled in everything. I played soccer in rec[reation] league, played baseball for three years. I did football for six years and even threw shot and discus for four [years]. At the same time, I also did Taekwondo and took up Judo when I went away to college,” Russ said.
And it was in college that Russ’s love for MMA led him down the path of sports journalism. He participated in organized Judo tournaments, but found he wasn’t meant for the competitiveness of the sport.
In a later interview, Russ says, “honestly, I was kind of trash in the tournaments. The [good] memories that stand outcome from the practices. Finally hitting a hip toss just right and feeling my opponent go weightless for a second; it’s such a gratifying feeling.”
Ultimately, Russ's ultimate goal is to follow and report on MMA in any way he wants.
“I would love to be a long-form writer for The Athletic, covering MMA. The people who write there are incredibly creative and intelligent in their coverage, and it’s simply a pleasure to read,” Russ said.
Despite the carnality & outright viciousness of MMA, Russ will always be able to see the artistry and sincere expression of human nature through the holes of the cage. 
To hear our full interview with Russ, check out the SoundCloud here, along with a full transcript below.

Transcript

Juan: Alright, man, so can I get your full name, spell it out for me, and what’s your program here?

Tanner: My name is Tanner Russ. First name is Tanner, T-A-N-N-E-R. Last name Russ, R-U-S-S. I am a magazine, newspaper and online journalism master student at the S-I Newhouse School of Communications

Juan: And where are you from, Tanner?

Tanner: I am from a small town in Oregon called Silverton. Population of 10,000. Predominantly white, and predominantly one stoplight. So this is a little bit of culture shock.

Juan: Alright, now I gotta ask you; University of Oregon or Oregon State?

Tanner: Oregon State bro.

Juan: Tell me why.

Tanner: I'm contractually obligated until I pay off my student loans. No, I think the campus is prettier, I think the people are a little more humble and down to Earth, and I will go to my grave defending that.

Juan: and I know you’re in the sports program so what are, like, your sports right now? Like [the ones] you follow the most? You said M-M-A and basketball?

Tanner: Yeah, so I'm really- So this- The last three or four years I've really, like, fallen back in love with Oregon's NBA team, the Portland Trailblazers. It's been just a riot to watch them, you know, kind of defy expectations season and season out. And then for about 10 years now, I've really been in love with the sport of mixed martial arts and just like the kind of Carnival free show that it is. Just something about- Just like the carnality of it, like it's so visceral and it's like I heard somebody say it was the literal contesting of wills; just like, you know, as pure a sport as you can find, and it's- there's something about watching two people just beat the shit out of each other; it's really fun. Those are- those are my two sports at this point in time.

Juan: What are your top two fighters MMA?

Tanner: Yo! That's so hard because, like, there are people who I enjoy watching for reasons other than their fighting. Like the Diaz brothers, Nick and Nate Diaz; they are just like- they're not the greatest fighters you're ever going to watch, but they leave it all on the cage every time, and they have this no f’s attitude towards, not only their opponents but towards, like, the U-F-C, towards other promotions that they fought in. They’re up there. Connor McGregor is kind of a racist, but also just an incredible showman. It's always an event when he fights. George St. Pierre was professionalism personified. And he put together one of the greatest winning streaks in combat sports history. So, there are a lot of people. I really don't think I could knock it down to just two fighters.

Juan: That’s fair. And let me ask you; if you were going to be in the MMA, what would your weight class be?

Tanner: Oh shit. Well, if I exercise and started working out and really was living my best life, I could probably fight at 170 pounds, maybe 155, if I was, like, really diligent. But the 170 is probably my optimal weight class. Because I think I'm like 210 right now, the heaviest I've ever been, and the best shape I've ever been in was 170, so, go there.

Juan: Who would you want to fight?

Tanners: Whoever doesn't punch me. So, probably somebody who was, like, a really good, like, wrestler or jujitsu player. Think like a Damien Maya or maybe a Gunnar Nelson. Somebody like- somebody who’s not going to break my nose and hit me in the cry button. Somebody like that.

Juan: Moving on to, like, when you played sports for yourself. What did you play when you were growing up?

Tanner:  I dabbled in everything. I started playing soccer at rec league. I played baseball for three years. I played football for six. I threw shot and discus for four. I did Taekwondo for eight years. Judo for two. I boxed a term in college. I've kind of done a little bit of everything, not being great at anything, but okay at everything.

Juan: In all those sports, like whether it was through martial arts, your football, your baseball, even track and fieldwork; did you ever think about pursuing any of them as a career in terms of professionalism?

Tanner: Nah, I kind of knew my ceiling, I was always J-V, and I was like, it would be like- you still have like delusions of like, I could do this. I could totally do this. Just need to stop drinking and eating pretzels. But it's- It- No, I kind of knew where my ceiling was. And I would still, like, like to compete. Like when I did judo in college. I would, like, go to, like, occasional tournaments and just like, throw my hat in the ring for fun. But I never had any, like, idea that I was going to do it is a way of making money and, like, make- earning a living for myself.

Juan: Final question. What's your favorite memory of all time?

Tanner: Personally or-

Juan: Personally, yeah.

Tanner: Whoo. Man, let’s see… My sophomore year of high school. No, I take that back. My senior year of high school, I made it onto the varsity throwing squad. For one track meet. It was kind of, like, this weird thing where the coach would reverse, like, the roster a little bit. So, the top three varsity throwers would get switched with the top three junior varsity throwers. And it was kind of like right before districts and right before state. This was like the people who've been working hard; it was their chance to shine. And so, I was, like, always the guy right before varsity. So, to get into the varsity ring, and I set a P-R [Personal Record] at that meet; to get in there and do that really meant a lot to me. And it was also very cool that my coach, that that was something he did, where he knew you'd been working hard, and he knew that you would earn this spot. Even if you weren't the most, you know, like physically talented, he was gonna give you that shot. So, that's probably it. I threw, I want to say 40 feet, 11 inches, and that was my P-R at the time.

Juan: All right, wow. That's pretty good. For me, I threw javelin. And I never made a pass it passed, at least 80 feet.

Tanner: I am not coordinated enough for Javelin. I tried. And it just- I was always scared I was going to, like, put the thing through my, like, chin. And I threw once I was 50 feet and I was like, Nah.

Juan: That was me with shot put. I was afraid I was going to throw it too high and have it land on my head.

Tanner: Yeah, yeah. That was a fear of my freshman year. So, I feel that.

Juan: Alight, before we conclude, can I get your phone number and your email address just in case you have any more questions?

Tanner: Yes, sir. My phone number is 503-851-2970. Email address is taruss@syr.edu.


Juan: Alright, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment