Sunday, July 28, 2019

Canada's Alex Lee began his MMA media journey watching Brock Lesnar


By: Tanner Russ
For Canadian MMA journalist Alex Lee, finding his way into that particular beat came via a professional wrestling fandom. Like many people during the peak of the late 2000s MMA boom, Lee was brought over by the superstardom of professional wrestling juggernaut Brock Lesnar at a time when he conquered the UFC’s heavyweight division.
“People always talk about the influence of Brock Lesnar coming over into MMA, and for myself it was huge,” Lee said. “I was very much a late bloomer to MMA. Fortunately for me when I jumped in I was very lucky to catch it at a time when there was Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn. It was a good time to jump in, and certainly because the sport as far as being mainstream had such a short history, it was pretty easy to catch up.”
            That introduction led to a blossoming adoration of the sport. With only 16 years to get caught up on, Lee was relentless in his pursuit of MMA knowledge and eventually found himself working in the very media he ravenously pursued.
            After starting out at theScore roughly four years ago, he made the transition to MMAFighting.com, a juggernaut in the MMA media landscape. There, he worked alongside some of the most notable names in the business, including Ariel Helwani, Luke Thomas, Chuck Mindenhall and more.
            Lee has been forced into different scenarios in recent months with the exodus of those very people. He has stepped in front of the camera and participated in live chats on the website in addition to his writing and reporting.
            “I’ve loved doing on camera stuff, it’s something I’ve always worked on, and I’m nowhere near where I want to be but I enjoy it,” Lee said. “I certainly enjoy doing it, which is always a good start. I just need to get better at it.”
            Lee recently covered UFC 240 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, which saw Max Holloway defend his UFC featherweight title against former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar.

No comments:

Post a Comment