Sunday, July 21, 2019

Killer Mentality

Killer Mentality: 
Tearing your ACL once is bad enough, but try tearing it multiple times, and as a result, requiring four knee surgeries. That isn’t a bad dream, but a reality for Morgan Alexander. Morgan, 22, is from Watertown, New York, and has played lacrosse for her entire life. She came to Syracuse to play lacrosse four years ago, but still has two years of eligibility left due to her injuries. For most people, they would simply quit. For Morgan, that was never even a possibility. Now as a graduate student at Newhouse in Broadcast Journalism, Morgan will not only be working hard in class this year, but she will also be back on the field, as she looks to make up for missed time. Most people would have quit after one knee surgery, but not Morgan. This killer mentality is something she has always had and will continue to use as her enters the cutthroat word of broadcast journalism. 



Transcribed Interview:
Matt: So how important is it for you to keep playing lacrosse? 
Morgan: Very important, because I’ve spent my entire life playing. So, for me, giving up and not playing was never an option. 
Matt: When you injured your knee each of the four times, how did you keep the mindset to come back, because a lot of people would just give up?
Morgan: It’s – I’m very, very passionate about lacrosse, and if I would have quit, it is something I would never let go for the rest of my life. It’s something I knew I couldn’t quit. I worked way too hard to get where I am. 
Matt: What position do you play? 
Morgan: I play attack. 
Matt: Um, so do you take that mindset in to going into sports media as a BDJ student? Do you want that same, almost killer mentality, that if you can come back from four sports injuries, you can pretty much do anything in sports media when you finish playing?
Morgan: Yeah, I think for me, um, being able to translate my competitive attitude from playing a sport for four years very competitively, and now being able to do it bigger, but in a slightly different environment, is um, very exciting for me. 
Matt: When you go into the industry, what’s the one sport you would love to cover if you can’t cover lacrosse?
Morgan: I would love to cover football, because growing up watching the Dallas Cowboys is what we did as a family. So, I – I am very interested – and big Tony Romo fan. Big Tony Romo fan. 

Link to Audio Interview: 
https://soundcloud.com/user-344446243/newhouse-school-of-public-communications-morgan-interview/s-tncrs




No comments:

Post a Comment