Tuesday, July 23, 2019

New jerseys. New Jets? (Interview with Rich Cimini)

New jerseys. New Jets?
For the first time since 1998, the New York Jets will be donning new uniforms. ESPN’s Rich Cimini likes the new jerseys a lot, and thinks it was the right time for the Jets to change their image. “They're coming off, you know, three horrendous seasons, and I think the uniforms, give excitement to the fan base and it creates the perception of a fresh start,” Cimini told me. In addition to three new uniforms with “New York,” on the front – a first for the Jets -­ they will be wearing new helmets which include an updated logo, and new color – Gotham Green. Cimini emphasized how important it is for teams to brand in sports today, and this was a major reason why the Jets went for the new look. It was not an overnight process, in fact Cimini told me the new jerseys started five years ago. While the jerseys are great, Cimini believes sales rely on how well the Jets do on the field. Cimini told me that quarterback Sam Darnold said it best: “these uniforms are going to look awesome if we win…  if we lose, they'll suck.” 


Transcribed Interview: 
Matt:
The new jerseys are different. They changed the logo, they changed the secondary logos, they have the whole new Gotham green color. Do you think this change can help market them as --you know, the New York team?
Rich: 
Well, I'll say two things on that. One, I was there for the uniform unveiling that night in New York City. And something Sam Darnold said really resonated with me, and I think a lot of fans. He said these uniforms are going to look awesome if we win, and he goes, “if we lose, they'll suck.” Yeah, I think that's a big part of it. But I think branding is so important in sports today. And I think the Jets felt this a year or two ago, this was not an overnight thing where they just woke up and decided to get new uniforms. You have to go through a process with the NFL, and merchandising. You know, it takes over a year to get to that point. So, I think a year or two ago - Actually, it was actually more than a year or two ago. Yeah, I think I think it was five actually. Yeah, I remember recalling Christopher Johnson saying that it actually took longer to get new uniforms than it did to build a new stadium. I think the team just felt stale, and they wanted a new approach, a fresh approach. And the timing of it worked out for them because they're coming off, you know, three horrendous seasons. And I think the uniforms, give excitement to the fan base and it creates the perception of a fresh start. Almost a new team, if that makes sense. Yeah, so it's all about branding and marketing in Jersey sales. You know, that can give a team a little bit of a kick start as they go into a season, but ultimately, it comes down to winning football game.
Matt: 
Yeah, exactly, which I love about it. Because as a Jets fan, that's what I want to see. Now, from a fans perspective, there definitely is a change in culture, with the new players and a new coaching staff and a new front office. But have you been able to see -- you know -- has the new jersey had a change in culture as well? Because, you know, that is the main reason they changed it.
Rich:
Well, that's hard to answer this point. Because they really haven't -- I mean, I haven't seen them in full jerseys yet. On the fields, like, you know, they practice with the helmets, and they look fine. I could answer the question better in a few days, when they have training camp practices in front of a live crowd. I, you know, you can get a feel for the buzz and what fans are saying. But right now, I've only seen them practice, you know, through the spring, and there were really no fans, there was just media. And so, it's really hard to gauge, you know, what kind of impact it's having. You know, I think in the preseason, you'll get a better feel for it. You know, to me, the elements are attractive. I like the uniforms, even color. I was surprised they went with so much of a New York theme, you know, New York on the helmet. I mean, even though they're from New Jersey. I’d say that pissed off some fans from New Jersey, that it just, just totally aligned themselves with New York, which again, was all about marketing; being in the number one media market. But I really can't say how the uniforms have impacted anything because I really haven't seen the play a game of them yet.
Matt: 
Right. Now, the Giants have had the same uniform for, you know, God knows how long and especially -- because like you've said the league is becoming so much more about branding, and personality, and marketability -- do you think the Jets will easily be able to outsell the Giants this year? In merchandise?
Audio Cut Out
Matt:
So, in your opinion, who's the most marketable player on the team? I think I know your answer, but maybe there's someone I'm not thinking about.
Rich:
The most marketable player on the team is Sam Darnold. Definitely for a younger generation. And he had some success, [last season] well not a lot, but some. And if he ever hit it big in New York, I mean, it would be just huge for him because I think he has the type [of personality]. He says all the right things in front of the camera and doesn't have any off-field trouble. So, I think that I think Donald would probably be the most marketable. 
Matt: 
Now do you think either him -- or I know he has a safety, but just from a fan's perspective right now, I would say Jamal Adams is the heart of the team for us fans. Could either of them, or Le’Veon Bell, or someone else on this team right now, become our generations Broadway Joe?  Which would just do wonders for the marketing the team.
Rich: 
I mean, it would be Sam, because yeah. Jamal’s [Adams] a very good player. He's got a big personality. And I think the fans can relate to him because he's a -- you know, he's young and he's got a swagger about him, but no safety is ever going to be Broadway Joe. I mean if the Jets had a player like Lawrence Taylor, [who would] rush the quarterback and things of that nature, then that player could be. But a safety is not going to be Broadway Joe and I don't think Le’Veon Bell could be because you know, he's not a homegrown player. I don't think he’ll l ever be… [inaudible] because I personally think it'll be gone in a year or two, but Donald's home grown you know. He's got the boy next door personality, so I mean, it would be Darnold if they ever achieved team success.


Link to Audio Interview with Rich:


No comments:

Post a Comment