Sunday, July 21, 2019

Curiosity leads me to become a basketball referee


Curiosity leads me to become a basketball referee

By Juma John Stephen


22 July 2019




Robert Bruin, Master’s Student S. I Newhouse School of Public Communication, Major in Broadcast and Digital Journalism 2019


“I can do it.” Those are the words of Robert Bruin, the 26-years-old affirming his desire to pursue his career as a referee Basketball. Bruin’s love for the sport came when his father introduced him to the game. He went on to play competitive Basketball at High School. As a player, he changed his mind from playing to officiating the game. I asked him why?


“I wanted to further my love with the game, so I chose to look at basketball from a different angle.  I was always curious about becoming a basketball referee and I chose to follow up with that and I ended taking some classes for it (refereeing) and became certified as women and men basketball high school referee.” said Bruin

To become a referee, there are many layers NBA referees have to go through. According to Bruin, he has started connecting with his NBA mentor, Allan Iverson, with whom he is getting some advice about the game ahead of time.

“Being a basketball the referee is really good because this is the best seat in the house. They (referees) are on the court with the players, even though they are not playing they have big judgment calls that they have to make” said Bruin

Speaking to Bruin, it is easy to spot the level of confidence and the zeal he has for basketball. However, he recognizes the challenges he has to face in order to reach the pinnacle of his basketball career as he explains further.

“Because it has to do with connections. It’s a greedy sport. It's (refereeing) like an actual basketball (players), to reach the actual highest level which is the NBA there are 450 spots, there are thousands of people that play basketball, so only the best of the best will be able to reach that point”

Currently, Robert Bruin is a Master’s student in S.I Newhouse School of Public Communication, Syracuse University. 



NB: Get the:
Transcribed interview on this link: 


Audio on this link:







No comments:

Post a Comment