Sunday, July 21, 2019

Classmate Q & A, Interviewee - Nick Ursini

Q&A Audio Recordinghttps://soundcloud.com/vanity-delbridge/sce-classmate-qa

Q 1. Why Journalism?


A. I always liked, I still do, you know, watching sports on any day that I can. It was always Baseball for me because I picked up a baseball when I was about four. Um, so that was always my favorite to watch. I did play Basketball too, but I wasn’t never really good at it. I made it my freshman year of high school, but then sophomore year is when I got the cut, which was okay because then I could focus more on baseball.


But um, just kind of watching everything, you know, 6th, 7th, or 8th grade was one of those three when we stated taking those tests in middle school to see what you wanted to be, and mine always came out like a truck driver. And I’m like, “I don’t wanna be a truck driver.”


I think every kid always, you know, you sit around the lunch table and you talk about Sports. And you’re always like, “man, this would be really cool to do professionally.” I wanted to do that, then when high school rolled around, you gotta start thinking about college. So sophomore, junior year, you start looking at programs that have Journalism, specifically Sports Emphasis.


Schools were.. I was a good student, I was not a great student. My GPA was fine but I was never really good, and I’m still not very good at standardized tests. So I always thought that that was going to limit me. So I actually applied to seven schools, and I only actually got into three: I got into Ohio University, which is where I went; Marist, which is in Poughkeepsie; and DePaul, which is in Chicago. Marist was the first one I visited, so naturally I was like, “oh this is awesome, but then it slowly started to fall down because I just didn’t like it so much anymore.”


I visited University of Pittsburgh, and I loved it, so.. but this is the funny story that I tell a lot of people: “It was my senior year, and I applied to seven schools, and I applied early action to Pitt because I really liked it, I liked Pittsburgh, I liked the University, it had good sports and stuff like that. I was always checking the mail, so I checked the mail, and you know if you get a small letter then usually you aren’t getting in, if you get a big one, then you are.”


So I get a small letter from Pitt, I open it, and they send me to a branch campus so in my opinion that was a ‘no.’ So I remember I was up in my room, and I was kind of upset because that was pretty much my number one school. Later in the night, my mom comes in and I think I was doing homework, and she comes in with a big smirk on her face and I was like, “what?” And she goes, “you didn’t check the mail very thoroughly, did you?”

And I was like, “no.” And she pulls a letter from behind her back, and it’s an acceptance letter to Ohio University. And I was like, “wow, I just went through every single emotion in the span of like five hours.” Once I stepped foot on that campus, “I was like, man, this campus is gorgeous.” So it was pretty easy for me once I got in, I declared like in January that I was gonna go there. I studied Journalism and had a minor in Sports Management as well.


Q 2. What brings you to Syracuse University for a Graduate program?


A. I obviously have heard of Syracuse before because it’s just the next state over from Connecticut. However, I didn’t think I had the grades necessarily to get in form high school. Again, my grades were fine, it was just the standardized tests that I knew was gonna limit me so I never actually even pulled the trigger on applying here, just cause I thought it’d be a waste of money for the application fee.


But junior year of undergrad, I was thinking of going to grad school and again, I looked at Master’s programs that were very similar, and this one, and Arizona State were the two that I actually applied to. I had family in Arizona so that one was kind of easy. Coming up here, a little different cause I’ve never been up here but still close enough that I can go home on a needed basis if I needed to. So I applied to both on the same day, and I did not get into Arizona State. I heard from them I believe in the middle of February, and Syracuse said they would let us know on March 1st. March 1st, I get in, and funny thing is I thought it’d be the other way around. I still had this mindset that I was not gonna get into Syracuse, and I would get into Arizona State. It was the other way around.


I remember being frantic, and I called my brother and he was like, “you should probably let mom and dad know because one, they’re the ones who pay your tuition; and two, they’re gonna be the biggest help to you. So, I remember calling my mom and dad then scheduled to come out here for a preview day. Three weeks later, sent my deposit to come here. So, it’s been an interesting.. But I’ve always had Syracuse on my radar since high school.


Q 3. Who do you look up to in the industry?


A. Well I think having ESPN headquartered in Connecticut, I think a lot of the ESPN guy’s come to mind: Scott Van Pelt, one; alum here, Mike Torico’s one; Liam McHugh, another alum is another. I just, I like different styles that everybody has, and I think when people are either play-by-play or sideline, or studio host, I just kind of adopt a lot of different styles from a lot of people. And I think, they bring different backgrounds, which I like, which is the reason why I went to Ohio. Because I’ve never been, but I knew a lot of people would have different backgrounds. Kind of the same reason, and what I’ve picked up here in grad school, is that people haven’t necessarily just come straight from undergrad such as myself, you included. Others have worked in the industry for a couple of years’, others took breaks, others came from many University’s throughout the country. So seeing everybody’s different backgrounds, and seeing what they’ve worked in was just kind of a reason why. “If I can mimic one, I don’t know.”


Q 4. What are some things people don’t know about you?


A. Not like this impacts me most, but I only have one cousin. And it’s funny because I’m Italian, and you know, you would think people who are Italian have big families. My dad is an only child, my mom is one of three; she’s the youngest. She has an older sister, and a brother who’s older than her. Her older sister married, only had one kid. And another I guess, is I never actually met my uncle. He’s living, he lives in Texas, but he’s never been around. My cousin’s the only who met him, one time. He’s the only one who met him, and it was kind of an awkward, forced meeting. I’m the youngest, I’m only 21, my brother’s 24, and my cousin’s 28. So now we’re to the point where we’re like, way past the point, where now it’d just be like a forced meeting. It’s kind of weird because he is family, but like he’s kind of not. My brother and I have never met him. My mom doesn’t think we’re ever gonna meet him so. I do have a small family.


Q 5. What do you aspire to do in your career?


A. I would like to do either sideline reporting, or be like a studio host. I never got into play-by-play, and in my opinion, it’s too late for that now. But during my undergrad, I would be on the sidelines for a lot of high school football games. My favorite moment was my junior year of high school: a high school team that we covered made it all the way to the State Tournament Final, and they played in the football hall of fame stadium in Ohio. That was where their state championship games were played, and I got to be on that field, and I was like man, “the people who have been on this field and stuff,” like that was really cool. Studio host would be cool too, just kind of standing around a desk with a couple of people looking at boards and stuff, breaking down you know, intermission for like hockey or breaking down a golf round, or baseball game. Something like that, it’s basically unscripted because unscripted things are the best. It’s basically what you see, and just raw emotion: “I think it’s just better when you don’t have to script things.”


Q 6. What is golf to you?


A. It’s kind of how golf started with me. I picked up a baseball when I was four, and then I got my first set of golf clubs when I was 12. But the problem was, it conflicted with baseball. In Connecticut, golf and baseball were played in the same season in the Spring; and it would screw up my swing tremendously from baseball to golf. I didn’t play golf as much as I wanted to. There was never a debate that I was gonna stop playing baseball to go play golf. Golf was just a secondary Sport that I could enjoy during the Summer. As I got older, towards high school, I started liking Golf a little more. My junior year of high school was kind of a rough year because I didn’t play as much as I wanted to; I didn’t see eye to eye with my coach. He actually was my fifth grade Language Arts teacher, who we had a great relationship when I was what nine. I grew up, and we didn’t see eye to eye anymore so my love for baseball took a little bit of a dip. I knew that I was never gonna play college baseball but that was kind of the cherry on top that said, “once high school baseball’s over, you are done playing competitively.


You can throw the baseball around with your brother, or play old man’s softball, which I did but you know, coaching, training, all that stuff was done. My senior year, it wasn’t that I was looking forward to baseball to end, but I was definitely ready to go on to the next step. People ask me do I miss baseball, “of course I miss it,’ but my body doesn’t miss it. Now that I fully made the switch to golf, there’s no coaches. I’ve never had a golf lesson, and I don’t really plan to because I’m content with how I play. I’ve never played competitively, and I don’t ever see myself: strictly for leisure. My dad plays it, he gave me the first set of clubs for Christmas; and my brother and I play it. My brother and I will have the competition but that’s just strictly, brother to brother, we’ve been having our entire lives’.


Golf is a sport where you can’t yell at anybody but yourself, or you yell at the golf ball. To me it’s just so fun, even if I’m having a bad round. I’d rather have a bad day on a golf course, than a good day at school or work. To me, golf, it’s leisure but now to me, it’s becoming like my life. It’s just such an enjoyable sport for me to watch. I know people think it’s so boring to watch but I get great joy watching it. I’m not trying to mimic what those pros are doing, because I can’t. However, I still think it takes great skill to hit a ball very close to a cup, and the different course layouts and stuff; the wind factor, and fan experience.


Connecticut has a PGA Tour event that comes, every, I believe June. I’ve been going there ever since sheesh, probably since I first started taking an interest to Golf. So I’ve been going for about 10 years now, every year, and it just gets better and better just to watch in person. I got a couple of golf balls, I don’t remember who they were signed by because when I was younger, now I kind of realized that sometimes those guy’s don’t really want kid’s in their faces because they’re trying to do a job.


Now I kind of taken a step back, and just enjoy everything that goes into golf from the announcers doing it: they’re constantly hopping form every different hole on the golf course to the people who get to walk behind. That would probably be another one of the cool things I’d get to do: walk behind a group, and just kind of say, “he’s got 175-yards, winds coming 12 miles an hour from his left to his right, pins over here, stuff like that.” I’ve definitely mimicked a lot stuff from watching the PGA Tour a lot.   


Q. 7 Where do you see yourself a year from now?


A. It’s funny that the sport that I grew up in, grew up playing, actually has moved down to my level three that I would like to work in. I like working with teams more than I like working with local news. I think when you work with a team, you get to travel with them, you get to spend time with them, eat with them. I covered my undergrad’s baseball team for all four years’, so that’s kind of the reason why I like that. However, it’s funny where I think I would like to work with the PGA Tour. You would travel a lot, sure, but you would always be in warm weather environments. Following them around would be cool, or doing like pre-shows or post-shows. You know, breaking down rounds, interviewing the player’s after with not a jumbotron but a little screen where you’re like let’s take you down, “talk me through what was going through your mind on hole 6 when you’re 200 yards away with the wind howling in your face.” And then also hockey, I really took a liking to hockey. My dad played when he was young and he played in college; my brother and I never played so it’s kind of funny how two sports that I never played competitively, I would love to work in. Whereas a sport that I played my whole life has moved down to my level three.


Q. 8 Nick Ursini is?


A. Somebody who always likes to bring what his background, his knowledge to something but knows that my answer is not always the right answer, and it’s not always the answer that people wanna hear. I’m very blunt, sometimes I give off harsh criticisms but I do it because simply, it’s the truth, and I think that people need to hear the truth. That’s the only way they’re gonna learn and get better, but I know that I’m young, and very young in my career where, it depends on who I say that to, and how I say it because that won’t always work. I always like feedback, I know I can take it: I’ve dealt with it from my parent’s to coaches, to professors to producers. I’m never satisfied with anything, I’m my biggest critique, and I think that’s huge in this industry. I guess understanding that you can’t always bring your A-game every single time, but still having that mindset where don’t get lazy because somebody will work harder than you.


I was never the most gifted in anything: I was never the most gifted in Sports, I was never the most gifted in the classroom. I was kind of a late bloomer with like, everything. To me, it’s kind of been like an uphill battle. I’ve always been compared to my older brother so now it’s just steering my own path. We have a lot of similarities, and I look up to him but we’re very different: he’s a mechanical engineer, he got the Math part of the genes, I’m a journalist who does not know how to do a lot of Math.


Q. 9 How do you want to be remembered by?


A. Somebody who was working hard, and always wanted to do the extra thing: not necessarily do something risky but do something that is just more challenging. Go do a live shot when it’s 20 degrees, and three phones are freezing, I know because it’s happened. And I had to put a hand warmer on my phone and press it against my leg just so my phone would heat up so I’d have not only connection to the studio, 70 miles away, but also so I could read my script and stuff. I’ve had some memorable moments in doing live shots in cold weather football games in the state of Ohio.


Just, somebody who’s always eager to learn because I know I don’t know everything, and I know I can always get better at stuff. It’s always somebody who is just trying to get better at anything: annunciating words, controlling your breathing, your voice be a little bit better. That’s how I’d like to be remembered with my classmates, professors, and anybody who I work with in the field.


Q. 10. Anything else you want to add?


A. Not that I wasn’t anxious coming here just because it was a new environment, but I knew if I could do it when I was 17 going to Ohio, I knew I can do it when I was 21 coming here after four years’ of being away from home.


That was one thing that I thought was very important for me to get home, and that was the thing that was very uncommon for my hometown. A lot of people went to state schools, a lot of people stayed in the tri state area, as you know from being from, New Jersey. A lot of people stayed in the Northeast, including my brother. So I thought it was important for me to get out to not only challenge myself to live in a different environment, meet new people, and embrace the whole different culture that was Southeast Ohio; that was personal. And then when it got to professional, learning everything that was new about Ohio. The high school sports in Ohio, it’s big, Ohio’s a big state, a lot bigger than Connecticut. That was a big learning curve. I’m excited, there’s a lot of opportunity here. It’s quick, I know they keep emphasizing, we only have a year; and they’re right, they’re throwing a lot at us in only a short period of time but I’m excited for it. It should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment