Monday, July 22, 2019

From The Six to The Cuse: Julianna D'urzo's Journey Across the Border

It's only a couple of hours from home, but Newhouse graduate student, Julianna D'urzo, is slowly adjusting to Upstate New York. D'urzo, a native of Toronto, did her undergraduate studies in Canada, and has made short trips to NYC, and even New Jersey to pay a visit to the world renowned Cake Boss.

This time, she'll be staying a while. D'urzo begins her one-year Broadcasting and Digital Journalism Master's program this July and is excited to build on her prior studies under the tutelage of the Newhouse school's famed professors, especially, Olivia Stomski.

SU graduate student, Julianna D'urzo proudly poses in front of her new school.


D'urzo credits Stomski for playing a major role in her decision to attend Newhouse, "I was at the Newhouse Open House back in November, and it was such a long day... I ran to her place after to hear her speak and just the way she talked about her job and how happy she was... I was like wow this is the place for me. I want to be taught by her."

D'urzo will be apart of the Sports Communications Emphasis in addition to being a BDJ student. She aspires to one day cover entertainment, but for now she'll be bracing herself for the notorious Syracuse winters.



D'urzo sat down with me for an interview which can be found here. The transcribed version of the interview is below.

Darron
So this is Darron Wallace. I'm here with Julianna D'Urzo. And Julianna, I know you are from Canada. So coming from Canada to the United States, what's been one of your biggest adjustments, not only coming to Syracuse, but just being in America as a whole?

Julianna
Well, the money for one, like there's definitely the conversion rate is significant. But all your bills are the same color, and ours are different. So we don't have $1 bills, like we have loonies and Tunis, so like our one dollars a coin and, or $2 a coin as well, which honestly makes life way easier than having $1 bills, because all the bills look the same, whether it's 100, or $1, five or 10. Like I find that I find they rip like no tomorrow so yeah, that's probably been like the most difficult thing to adjust to.

Darron
All right. Um, so coming to Syracuse, you said during your preview, that you you met with Professor Stomski, correct? So what about Professor Stomski made you like made a light in your head go off to where you were like, I really need to come here?

Julianna
I think it was just her passion and her drive or charisma, she spoke. I was at the new house open house back in November. And it was such a long day. And I just she was the last Hill and I think like the Wednesday show and felt like 4:30 and she was at like 3:30 or four o'clock so I ran to her place after to hear speak. And just like the way she talked about her job, and how happy she was like, I remember so she came here for undergrad and she's like, I never like I swore I would never come back here again, like, through these winters. But I'm here and I get to like teach the best in the nation. And I realized I'm like, wow, this like, this is the place for me. Like I want to be taught by her.

Darron
All right, two more things. Coming from Canada, do you feel prepared for the winter?

Julianna
Yes, but also it's really dark here. Every time I'm here. I feel like in the winter time there it was so dark. So I feel like it's gonna get kind of hard. Also, I haven't got used to the fact that they like switch cars on separate days on for Tigers to do the snow. So that's gonna be interesting.

Darron
And last thing is everyone from Canada as nice as people say,

Julianna
Oh, that's I don't know. You tell me. I'd like to think so. Like we we love you guys. And we want to work together for sure.

Darron
All right. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment