Sunday, July 28, 2019


Leaving a High Paying Job to Pursue a Sports Journalism Career


Guya Scopas Bethuel SYRACUSE, NY - The sports industry in the United States has evolved and remained competitive. “Everyone wants to do it but not everybody can do it.” These were the words of Paul Esden, a sports talk radio host with Cumulus Media’s The Score 1260.

Paul Esden of The score1260 radio in an interview 
Paul left a well-paying job in order to pursue a sports journalism career and he does not regret the decision.

He spends 20 hours a week of sports talk radio. He also covers Syracuse athletics for inside the lighthouse website.

Paul did unpaid internship with Cumulus Media and ESPN for more than 2 years. His hard work got him a production job at ESPN radio before moving back to Cumulus Media.

“When I was at ESPN, I had to pay $40 a week of my money to just park my car to even have a chance to get into the internship.” Said, Paul.

He said it requires a lot to succeed in an industry that already boasts many people. Paul outlines the following as prerequisite in order to succeed:

  •       Passion for sports
  •       Patience and commitment
  •       Conviction


Paul wanted to participate in NFL before pursuing sports journalism. “When I realize the NFL was not going to call me, I decided If I am not going to play my favorite sport, I will speak about sports.” Said, Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment