Tuesday, July 31, 2018

50 Years of Attending Chief Games is Just What the Doctor Ordered


Life-long resident and Syracuse alum, David has been going to Chief games for over 50 years. An avid sports fan, he loves the atmosphere of the baseball stadium.  Attending the games is literally, helping to save his life.

David served in the air force for eight years. While in Vietnam, he was exposed to Agent Orange, a chemical the United States used in the jungle to prevent enemies from hiding. Years of exposure left David with numerous health complications.

Two years ago David suffered a heart attack. His doctors told him he needed to exercise. He now combines his passion for baseball with walking and feels better than he has in years.  

“Every day I walked in my parking lot and you can imagine how boring that is,” David said. So, that’s when he started using the Chiefs games as a way to exercise and watch a sport he loves. “Here I am burning up calories, I’m getting some cardio exercise, and I get to see the game from different points of view. I go down close to the field and then I go up high. I get a kick out of seeing it from different perspectives and what not”

On the day I met David he had already clocked 6000 steps. His weight and blood pressure are both down.

Getting to meet new people, enjoying the scenery and watching the Chiefs is the reason David describes this as “my favorite place.”







--Kendra Sheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment