Monday, July 23, 2018

Catch Tamar Turner on Television Someday


Catch Tamar Turner on Television Someday
By Rebecca Anthone

“I’m going to be on TV,” said Tamar Turner confidently when asked what his goal is after graduating from Newhouse in May 2019. “Whatever it takes,” he continued.
            Turner has had his eyes set on coming to S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University since he was in high school. After being misled by a guidance counselor and applying to Newhouse instead of SU, making it harder for him to be accepted, he was deferred. Subsequently, he completed his degree in communications with a concentration in journalism and a minor in sports studies at East Carolina University. Nevertheless, Turner still had his eyes set on Newhouse.
            “I came up with a hashtag in college like it was Newhouse or nothing,” said Turner. There was nothing he wanted more than to be accepted into the prestigious school. In March, his dream finally turned into a reality and he was accepted as a graduate student into the broadcasting and digital journalism program with a sports emphasis at Newhouse. But it doesn’t end here for Turner. His dream job is to be a reporter for ESPN, or even have his own show someday.



Transcription: https://soundcloud.com/user477334447/tamar-interview

Where did you go to college?
East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina. I graduated in May and basically just came straight here. I stayed down in North Carolina in June then went to Philly. That’s where I’m from. I watched my little brother graduate. I stayed there for a week and came straight here.

What did you get your degree in?
I studied communications with a concentration in journalism and then a minor in sports studies

What program are you in at Newhouse?
Broadcast and Digital Journalism with and SEC.

What made you want to apply to Newhouse?
This has been my, Syracuse has been my, top choice since 10th grade of high school. Basically, undergrad I applied directly to Newhouse and I didn’t know that we had a college interview day and basically the counselor was just like your transcript and everything looks good, you’ll get in, just apply to Syracuse and all that. I didn’t know she meant just apply to Syracuse and not to Newhouse, so I applied to Newhouse so they wait listed me originally and eventually deferred me. JMU was my second school, they did the same thing. But basically yeah I always saw that, I always wanted to do communications and journalism. I saw that Newhouse was the top school in the nation. I just saw all the testimonials and everything like that so that’s why I came.

What got you interested in the sports field?
I mean my, I knew the basically I wanted to be on TV. I hate watching the news like its too much negativity so my TV pretty much never leaves sports so I just knew that between ESPN and Sports Center that’s what I always wanted to do.

What past experience with sports do you have?
So growing up I played baseball and football for like nine years. I covered some in high school just like going and doing kind of my own type of stuff. Um watching it, I did a lot of videos and I edited some things like highlights and stuff like that. I played rugby, club rugby in college uh like I said I watch everything.

Who are your favorite sports teams?
 They’re all over the place. I’m a Giants fan cause I was born in New York. I’m a Lakers fan because Kobi’s my favorite player. I’m a Phillys fan though I hate the Yankees. I watch everything else. When it comes to college, I’m a Syracuse fan. I’ve always been a ‘Cuse fan.

What’s the best aspect about sports for you?
I would just say it’s. Hm, nothing’s constant. Like something’s always going on. Something’s always changing. Just when you think like everything is normal and calm in the sports world, a big story breaks out or something like that. So I like that it’s always evolving like something’s always going on.

What is your goal after graduating from Newhouse?
I’m going to be on TV. Whatever it takes. Like whether I have uh whether im a reporter for ESPN. That’s my dream job. I’ve really been leaning towards having my own show so that’s really what I wanna do. Whether it’s on sports or a general topic, but yeah you’re going to see me on TV.

What has been the biggest accomplishment in your life?
Honestly I would say getting in here just because I was a little skeptical of applying again just because I was wait listed and denied and I was just really confused and I saw how competitive it was. But this was the only grad school I applied to so it was really, like I came up with a hashtag in college like it was Newhouse or nothing so I kind of just went with it. I sent them everything I had. I did a lot of work in undergrad that I think really propelled me and gave me the experience and stuff so I really say just being here, being around all these good people meeting some good professors.

What is your favorite memory?
Probably meeting and being able to take a picture with KD back when he was on OKC Thunder. I had like, we had backstage passes so I saw Russel Westrbook and Steven Adams and Serge Ibaka and Glen Davis. I got to take a picture with KD and then I heard like Russel he got real mad at one of the fans and he threatened to slap them or whatever so it was really cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment