Monday, July 23, 2018

The REAL Jack of All Trades: Life with Daniel Booth




Born and raised in Greenberg, New York or Westchester County, Daniel Booth is a broadcast and digital journalism student with an emphasis in sports journalism and broadcasting here at Syracuse University. 

Daniel’s favorite sports is baseball and he played since I was about four years old. Unfortunately for Daniel, he tore his labrum and my rotator cuff in his pitching shoulder during his freshman year of college.

That didn't stop Daniel from chasing his dreams. Originally he planned to be an English teacher but couldn't shake the urge to talk about sports. Daniel was an English major with a double minor in communications and liberal studies.  


Subsequently, Daniel wants to cover the New York football Giants whether that be beat writing, radio or doing play-by-play.

Audio Interview: https://soundcloud.com/user-951582514/ws400611wma 

Interview Transcript with Daniel Booth
Hi Daniel! 
Hi Alazia! How are you? 
Great, how are you? 
You know what I’m doing all right I well.

I’m going to start off I’m going by asking you about 10 questions and will wrap it up.

So, where you from?
I am from Greenberg, New York in Westchester County. So to give an idea that’s about 20 minutes north of the Bronx.


Did you play sports in school?
I did I played baseball since I was about four years old. Until I tore my labrum and my rotator cuff and my pitching shoulder during my freshman year of college and that was rough but you know things happen for reason I guess. Yes, I played baseball, basketball, I ran cross country for a very long time, I played soccer and I would’ve played football but I didn’t want to take a chance of getting like seriously hurt and or having brain damage so, yeah.

So I’m assuming that baseball is your favorite sport? It’s really close but yes I’d probably say yeah.

Sports in Undergrad?
No.

What school did you go to for undergrad? 
I went to SUNY Cortland and I was an English major with a double minor in communications and liberal studies in for a long time I want to be a teacher, actually because teaching runs in my family and I’m a big Shakespeare greek methodology fan so those two things are really pushing me towards the teaching track. I also love sports and I love the idea of being a journalist as a whole and that’s what brought me here.

What are you taking up here at Syracuse?
I am a broadcast and digital journalism student with an emphasis in sports journalism and broadcasting.

So what made you choose sports journalism?
I just felt like its something I’ve always been passionate about and I don’t feel like I will be here I would have been complete without talking about sports and I think that being able to talk about sports for a living that could be something I might be “working” but I might not be working because it something I’ll be letting loving.

What is your dream job?
If I had to choose one I would say covering the New York football Giants whether that be beat writing, radio or doing play-by-play however that my work out that’s ideal for me but all three of those in general or something I really want to do.

Is the New York Giants your favorite team?
Yes, they are I started watching football back in 2004 and that’s when Tom Coughlin’s first year with the Giants and that’s when Eli Manning was drafted so from the jump I have been along for the ride the entire time and it’s been a journey to say the least

Who is your role model in the industry?
I really like Mike Greenberg because he is not afraid to be his self you know that something I wrote about for the last homework assignment and because he’s also been a radio for a very long time I didn’t radio for a very long time and now he’s on TV doing his own thing. 

What do you plan to get out of the program as a whole?
I would like to be better. By better I mean I think I have a solid grasp on what I want to do, and how I want to do it but I always feel like there’s room to improve. I have a decent amount experience from doing my own radio show for a couple of years doing sports broadcasting and I was at English major so all I did was write and read forever. So I feel like I’m pretty good at other things but I feel like I could be very better and that’s one of the reasons why am here.

Thank you so much, Daniel.

Thank you for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment