Monday, July 30, 2018

My Experience at Tonight's Chiefs Game

Dallas Jackson
7/30/18
COM 600
Stomski

Home plate and some of the crowd on the Concourse level at NBT Bank Stadium. (c) 2018 Dallas Jackson


My Experience at Tonight's Chiefs Game
by Dallas Jackson

There were 3,431 people in attendance at NBT Bank Stadium to watch the Syracuse Chiefs play against the Pawtucket Red Sox tonight. Of the three thousand-plus people, I might've been one of the select few who were never really into baseball.

I was born and raised in Denver, Colorado. I played one year of tee-ball when I was around five or six years old. I remember it being a lot of fun, but my experience didn't go far beyond that. Our house in Denver is about 15-20 minutes away from Coors Field, where the Colorado Rockies play. I've still only been to maybe four or five games ever. Even when I would go, it would only be for a few innings before returning home or heading somewhere else. I understand the basics of the game but never got into its statistics.

As I've gotten older I've realized that lots of people in Denver don't go to Rockies games to actually watch the game. Lots of people go just to drink. Another reason I believe I haven't gotten into baseball is because of where Colorado is geographically. It's not like the East Coast, West Coast or down south where baseball is big. The baseball culture and fandom in Colorado are not as prevalent as somewhere like California or New York.

But tonight's Chiefs game wasn't half bad. For me, it was good to be around people who were actually watching the game. It was cool to see the game from the press box and meet the people who cover baseball for a living. The Chiefs were down 7-0 but ended up winning 11-10 in the thirteenth inning. As I sat there, I realized that there was a lot more to see than just the game. I saw some of the unity of the city. There were fans of all ages at the stadium. There were different activities with the fans and other kids during the breaks. It was all good fun and I think I might go back again sometime.


No comments:

Post a Comment