Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Syracuse Chief's Most Storied Fan


When I decided to walk up to Don Waffle and ask him a few questions, I did not realize who I was speaking to. I was unaware of his status in the community, and I only wanted to ask him a few questions because he appeared to be a regular at the Syracuse Chiefs games. Though I was unable to speak to him for too long, I was more than impressed with this 102-year-old World War II veteran’s ability to get around the stadium.

Fortunately, Harold Galvin was there to fill me in on many of the more remarkable facets of his life, including the exclamation that they were not only regulars, but season ticket holders as well. Though Galvin seemed to have an interesting story of his own, he was enthusiastic to give me an account of Waffle’s storied life. 

After graduating from Syracuse’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Waffle would eventually become president of the Chiefs board for 36 years. Clearly, his love for this organization runs deep, as he continued to make a trip to just about every home game he could up until this year. Even though his attendance may be down slightly this season, his passion for the team and the community as a whole drive his continued visits to NBT Bank Stadium.


No comments:

Post a Comment